Using =sum for duplicate ID in VLOOKUP

RBerry

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, first post so hope I’m doing it correct, but here goes:

I own a business, and my employees have ID numbers.
I use VLOOKUP for their names, but our system sometimes leaves the names off and just uses their ID numbers.

How would I find their duplicate sales and add it into one cell using a VLOOKUP formula?

The closest I have got is: =sum(VLOOKUP(C4, sales, $c$2:$j$150,8,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(C4, sales, $c$2:$j$150,8,FALSE)
I know this is wrong because it added the same cell twice, and I only want it to “sum” if it’s a duplicate?

Thanks in advance

If you can upload an example with XL2BB that would be best. Or a sample of your sheet with a screen shot (even if you use snipping tool to capture and paste here)?

First of all its not that simple to just change the range you would most likely need additional lookups that I could easily provide some guidance on with a sample of the data.

Either way there is a solution but since you are using Office 365 there are a few ways to handle this. With your expanded data there maybe a better solution. I just need to understand how the data is inputted.

For example. Product names for same Employee ID's are these always the same product names for all employee's i would guess no. And how do you want to pull the data list all Products in one cell?

Long and short of it is please upload some how a sample of your data and we can get you on the right track.

You may want to post in a new thread just FYI so others don't think its solved and may chime in too. Thanks!
Hi Keef2,

I have posted a new thread with an example of what I mean, hopefully it makes sense. As far as this thread goes, thank you very much, you have answered everything perfectly.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back