using Sun degrees instead of days - POSSIBLE?

zebra7860

Hello,

I have a simple spreadsheet where I would like to convert numbers into Solar degrees and add them to a date.

For example, in one of my cells, I have numbers such as 57, 228, etc. I would like to change those to Solar degrees
and add them to a date specified in another cell, and to spit out the resulting date.

For example, 228 added to Jan 16, 2017 results in a date of 09/01/2017
228 converted to solar degrees added to Jan 16, 2017 gives 9/07/2017

Can anybody assist? Is this even possible? I know there is a Swiss ephemeris that can be imported into Excel. Perhaps
this can be used somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Al

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
A web search turns up very little on 'solar degrees' as an astronomical concept. As I understand it, a solar degree is the time it takes for the earth to travel 1/360th of its orbit around the sun. As there are 365.2425 days per year and 360 degrees in one year, one solar degree is 365.2425/360 days (the earth's elliptical orbit renders this an average, not an exact value for every day). A decent ephemeris should take account of the earth's elliptical orbit. Based on the average, however, 228 solar degrees would be 365.2425/360*228 = 231.3 days. Conversely, 228 days would span 360/365.2425*228 = 224.7 solar degrees.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back