Using the =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH function to search multiple cells...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickwood1066

Board Regular
Hi,

I' having trouble using the =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH formula to search multiple cells.

I can get it to work to search one cell (as below):

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Same",G10)),"No Change",'Aug 09 Matrix'!F10)

(In this case the respone is No Change as Cell G10 contains "Same")

However cannot get it to work for several cells. I have pasted below and highlighted the function I would like it to perform:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Same",G10:R10)),"No Change",'Aug 09 Matrix'!F10)

Essentially the other cells in that row (G10:R10) all contain "Same", however for some reason it is identifying this as FALSE and putting in the data from the 'Aug 09 Matrix' sheet.

Any idea?

Any help much appreciated!

Best regards

Nick

Example:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(K596:CZ596,B596)))=COUNTA(K596:CZ596)

Sir, Instead of writing "Same" can I give cell reference, as I want to search multiple text from different cell and if those text found in one cell that is the main source is it possible. Please provide me help with formula.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Example:

Sir, Instead of writing search name "text" can I give cell reference, as mentioned above, as I want to search multiple text from different cell and if those text found in one cell then it will be TRUE else false. Please provide me help with formula.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Example:

Sir, Instead of writing search name "text" can I give cell reference, as mentioned above, as I want to search multiple text from different cell and if those text found in one cell then it will be TRUE else false. Please provide me help with formula.

Thank you.

Book1
ABCDE
1DescriptionSearch 1Search 2Search 3
2CENTRAL BATTERY SYSTEM AND EMERGENCY LIGHTING INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switchgear and equipment,Central batteryLIGHTINGSwitchTRUE
Sheet1

E2:

=ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&B2:D2&" "," "&$A2&" ")))

Upvote 0
Dear Mr. Aladin Akyurek,

At the outset I am very grateful to you for your kind help. I have to get the following ; please help me in this command.

I have to pull out all words and write in one column which is there in below sentence (Search from List)

Column A = John has working knowledge of Oracle and Excel

I have following list;
Oracle
MySQL
Toad
Excel
John
Raju
Rajesh
Hardware
Software
DB
MDB
SMDB
ESMDB
FESMDB
/f

<colgroup><col width="64" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Dear Mr. Aladin Akyurek,

At the outset I am very grateful to you for your kind help. I have to get the following ; please help me in this command.

I have to pull out all words and write in one column which is there in below sentence (Search from List)

Column A = John has working knowledge of Oracle and Excel

I have following list;
Oracle
MySQL
Toad
Excel
John
Raju
Rajesh
Hardware
Software
DB
MDB
SMDB
ESMDB
FESMDB
/f

<tbody>
</tbody>

Book1
ABCDEF
2John has working knowledge of Oracle and ExcelDB
3ESMDB
4ExcelExcel
5JohnFESMDB
6OracleHardware
7John
8MDB
9MySQL
10Oracle
11Rajesh
12Raju
13SMDB
14Software
15Toad
Sheet1

Name the sorted list in F2:F15 List. Note that the sorting must be in ascending order.

In A4 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX(List,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&List&" "," "&$A$2&" ")),ROW(List)-ROW(INDEX(List,1,1))+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

Upvote 0
Dear Sir,

Request you yo please send me a solution for below;

Sheet 1

1) There is a List of Component Names in A column
2) From column B to column ALZ there are item names in each column which comes under component in Column A.

Sheet 2

Column A content Descriptions, Column B will be Result Column

Now What I need

I want to search Item Names in Description (Column A Sheet 2),if found get the Component Name of that Item Name in Result column B (Sheet 2)

SHEET 1

COMPONENT NAMES IN COLUMN A
ITEM NAMES (which comes under Column A) FROM COLUMN B to XDZ (Remaining Item names will be added in main data, below is just a sample)

Component
Name I T E M N A M E S .................................................................................
ABCDEFGFG
HV SwitchgearMV PanelsMV Switchgear11 KV SwitchgearRMUMVSMLT
Access controlCard ReaderPush button for exitDoor contact/holderMortise LockInput ModuleDoor controller
Fire alarmHeat DetectorMulti SensorSmoke detectorDuct Smoke DetectorSounder hornStrobe Light
PAVAremote paging microphoneemergency paneldigital event recorderCD playertuneroverriding relay
Active componentsIP Telephony HandsetsPABXWireless controller---

<tbody>
</tbody>

SHEET 2

DESCRIPTIONRESULT
HIGH VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Containment including all fittings, couplers, supports, fixings and ancillary work as necessary; HV cable Ladder, MV Panels
SECURITY SYSTEM INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; CCTV - Switchgear and equipment, Card Reader, including supports and ancillary work as necessary; Hotel security control room - (including video wall monitors, anpr workstation, operator/supervisor workstation, badge
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports,Multi Sensor final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-03(1459.54kW)Heat Detector
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports, final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-04(1440.8kW)built-in dual channel digital source card, CD player

<tbody>
</tbody>

===================================================
SAMPLE FINAL RESULT (REFERENCE ONLY)
DESCRIPTIONRESULT
HIGH VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Containment including all fittings, couplers, supports, fixings and ancillary work as necessary; HV cable Ladder, MV PanelsHV Switchgear
SECURITY SYSTEM INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; CCTV - Switchgear and equipment, Card Reader, including supports and ancillary work as necessary; Hotel security control room - (including video wall monitors, anpr workstation, operator/supervisor workstation, badgeAccess control
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports,Multi Sensor final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-03(1459.54kW)Heat DetectorFire alarm
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports, final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-04(1440.8kW)built-in dual channel digital source card, CD playerPAVA

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you Sir, I tried to explain but If you have any query, please let me know.

Upvote 0
Dear Sir,

Request you yo please send me a solution for below;

Sheet 1

1) There is a List of Component Names in A column
2) From column B to column ALZ there are item names in each column which comes under component in Column A.

Sheet 2

Column A content Descriptions, Column B will be Result Column

Now What I need

I want to search Item Names in Description (Column A Sheet 2),if found get the Component Name of that Item Name in Result column B (Sheet 2)

SHEET 1

COMPONENT NAMES IN COLUMN A
ITEM NAMES (which comes under Column A) FROM COLUMN B to XDZ (Remaining Item names will be added in main data, below is just a sample)

Component
Name I T E M N A M E S .................................................................................
ABCDEFGFG
HV SwitchgearMV PanelsMV Switchgear11 KV SwitchgearRMUMVSMLT
Access controlCard ReaderPush button for exitDoor contact/holderMortise LockInput ModuleDoor controller
Fire alarmHeat DetectorMulti SensorSmoke detectorDuct Smoke DetectorSounder hornStrobe Light
PAVAremote paging microphoneemergency paneldigital event recorderCD playertuneroverriding relay
Active componentsIP Telephony HandsetsPABXWireless controller---

<tbody>
</tbody>

SHEET 2

DESCRIPTIONRESULT
HIGH VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Containment including all fittings, couplers, supports, fixings and ancillary work as necessary; HV cable Ladder, MV Panels
SECURITY SYSTEM INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; CCTV - Switchgear and equipment, Card Reader, including supports and ancillary work as necessary; Hotel security control room - (including video wall monitors, anpr workstation, operator/supervisor workstation, badge
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports,Multi Sensor final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-03(1459.54kW)Heat Detector
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports, final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-04(1440.8kW)built-in dual channel digital source card, CD player

<tbody>
</tbody>

===================================================
SAMPLE FINAL RESULT (REFERENCE ONLY)
DESCRIPTIONRESULT
HIGH VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Containment including all fittings, couplers, supports, fixings and ancillary work as necessary; HV cable Ladder, MV PanelsHV Switchgear
SECURITY SYSTEM INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; CCTV - Switchgear and equipment, Card Reader, including supports and ancillary work as necessary; Hotel security control room - (including video wall monitors, anpr workstation, operator/supervisor workstation, badgeAccess control
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports,Multi Sensor final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-03(1459.54kW)Heat DetectorFire alarm
LOW VOLTAGE DISTRIBUTION INSTALLATION; EQUIPMENT; Switch gear and equipment, including supports, final point-wiring, containment and ancillary work as necessary; MDB-P-GF-04(1440.8kW)built-in dual channel digital source card, CD playerPAVA

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you Sir, I tried to explain but If you have any query, please let me know.

Please try to continue this one in https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/893600-extract-multiple-keywords-text-string-3.html. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back