Using VBA to take sum and place in next unused row in column

artz

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am using the following VBA code to simulate the rolling of dice. The code puts the random numbers in the next unused row in columns AE and AF respectively.

Code:
Sub Random1()

Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To Range("AD2")

Range("AE" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Formula = Int(Rnd * 6 + 1)
Range("AF" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Formula = Int(Rnd * 6 + 1)

Next i

End Sub

I would to use VBA to take the sum of each pair of values in columns AE and AF that are in the same row. The would be placed in the next unused row in column AG. I tried modifying the code used in the Random sub to do this, but received an error. The code I used is:

Code:
Sub Sum()

Range("AG" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Formula = Range("AE") + Range("AF")

End Sub

Does anyone have a suggestion to fix my errant code?

Thanks,

Art

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
A few things.

Never used reserved words like "Sum" as the name of procedures, functions, or variables. Doing so can cause errors and unexpected results ("Sum" is already an existing Excel function).
In your code, you are not creating a formula, and you cannot have a range address with no row reference (i.e. Range("AE") and Range("AF") are missing row references).

I am not sure if you are just trying to sum up columns AE and AF for that row, or for the entire column.
For that particular row, the formula could look something like this.
VBA Code:
Sub MySum()

Range("AG" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]+RC[-2]"

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4,

Thanks for your response and code. I didn't know that Sum was a reserved word; thanks for the tip. The number of dice rolls is set by the value in AD2. Each click of the Command Button produces new roll values which are concatenated to the existing roll values in columns AE and AF. These new roll values would be summed and concatenated to the existing sum values in column AG.

When I ran your code, nothing appeared to happen. The sum values did not show up in column AG.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Art

Upvote 0
Basically, "reserved" words are names of existing Excel functions, methods, properties, etc. (there is a native Excel function named "Sum").

I am not sure what exactly how you want your expected results to look (whether or not you want a sum for each row, or just one total sum at the bottom).
Can you post a small data sample, along with your expected results in column AG?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I thought that I was clear, but I guess not. Here's a screen cap of what I'm looking for terms of the sums. A nice feature if possible, would be to have a choice to either clear the contents of AE, AF, and AG starting at row two or to concatenate each new set of rolls. Can this feature be added easily? For instance a MsgBox that says, "Clear Contents?" Just a thought. Let's get the sums done first. :)

Thanks,

Art

Attachments

• Worksheet Ex.jpg
    Worksheet Ex.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
You can do the Sum in the same sub procedure as your original one, i.e.
VBA Code:
Sub Random1()

Dim i As Integer

Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
You can do the Sum in the same sub procedure as your original one, i.e.
VBA Code:
Sub Random1()

Dim i As Integer

Next i

End Sub
Hi Joe4,

Same issue as before you combined the subs: nothing is written in column AG.

Art

Attachments

• Worksheet Ex2.jpg
    Worksheet Ex2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Clear your range, and start over (so that you have titles in AD1 to AG1. but no data below it.

Then if you run the code, you should see something like this:

BEFORE IMAGE:
1657231246397.png

AFTER ENTERING 10 IN CELL AD2 AND RUNNING VBA CODE IMAGE:
1657231278937.png

This is what I got when I ran the code I posted in my previous post.
If it is not working for you, make sure you copied and pasted it correctly.

Attachments

• 1657231141024.png
    1657231141024.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
Clear your range, and start over (so that you have titles in AD1 to AG1. but no data below it.

Then if you run the code, you should see something like this:

BEFORE IMAGE:
View attachment 68842

AFTER ENTERING 10 IN CELL AD2 AND RUNNING VBA CODE IMAGE:
View attachment 68843

This is what I got when I ran the code I posted in my previous post.
If it is not working for you, make sure you copied and pasted it correctly.
This should be simple. Here's the code as copied and pasted and the same result; nothing in AG???? Am running XL 2016 on Win 10.

Attachments

• Worksheet Ex3.jpg
    Worksheet Ex3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5
  • Worksheet Ex4.jpg
    Worksheet Ex4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
This should be simple. Here's the code as copied and pasted and the same result; nothing in AG???? Am running XL 2016 on Win 10.
That does not seem possible, unless you already have something in column AG much further down the page.

If you run this code, what does it return?
VBA Code:
Sub Test()

Dim lr As Long

If Cells(Rows.Count, "AG") <> "" Then
        lr = Rows.Count
    Else
        lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "AG").End(xlUp).Row
    End If

MsgBox "The last row in column AG with an entry is row: " & lr

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back