Using VLookup with a column of data imported from MSSQL7.0

Caleb

I have imported a column of six digit numbers from a SQL 7.0 database. I then use Vlookup to match a manually entered column with the imported column. MY problem is that in order for Vlookup to work I have to double click into each cell in the imported column. Once I double click into it, it works fine.
MORE INFO:In an unclicked cell the LookupValue is surrounded in quotes i.e.("101203").... in a clicked cell the LookupValue isn't i.e.(101203).
I've tried formatting the imported column several different ways without any luck. I've also tried cutting and pasting.
However, The only way I can get it to work is to double click in each cell.
It almost seems like a bug in Excel.
Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks, Caleb Shanafelt
This message was edited by Caleb on 2002-09-11 16:04

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

PaddyD

MrExcel MVP
Hi - welcome to the board.

sounds like your 'numbers' are being imported as text. Test this by doing as =isnumber() check on one of the cells - I'll guess it will return false.

One of a number of general fixes for this sort of thing:

1) put a zero in a spare cell.
2) copy it
3) select the range containing you text 'numbers'
4) go to edit | paste special. select add. Click OK

Paddy

Caleb

Hey thanks a lot... Actually, when I performed isnumber() it returns TRUE.....
Very strange huh?.... However, I tried your trick and it worked perfectly..... Thanks again for saving me a couple of hours worth of boring/tedious work.....
Caleb Shanafelt

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agentless