V-look up

clemkonan

Typically I would do a vertical look-up for a Supplier name by using a list and based on the ingredient name say Bananas in A1:A90 I can locate and return the Supplier name in C1:C90 however this case I need the capability to find multiple suppliers for that ingredient. One may be the "preferred ", the other may be the "alternate” and the last one may be “Emergency only". Can this be done without visual basic? If this solution is not a Vlookup I am still interested.
Thanks for help / feedback
Clemkonan

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
How would you want the list of suppliers to be returned in a single cell?
How about filtering the data instead ... you can select the ingredient you want and see a list of suppliers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I see your point. The destination or key deliverable is a risk assessment report, one specific for each of suppliers and Ingredients. I will be showing the risk associated with each Supplier and if approval status, and the risk classification for each ingredient. Two Suppliers can be providing a common ingredient and one may be high risk and the other low risk.

I think I will make a matrix of Supplier vs. Ingredient and color code to differentiate "Preferred” from” "Alternates". Only one supplier or Ingredient name can populate a given record (row) so I suspect filtering and using my matrix is the way to go.

Thanks for your feedback, huge help again.

Upvote 0
See if you can adapt this to your needs...
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
1​
aa
2​
nameQtynameQty
3​
aa
10​
aa
10​
4​
bb
20​
aa
40​
5​
cc
30​
6​
aa
40​
7​
bb
50​
8​
cc
60​
E1 = Ingredient name
E3=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,SMALL(IF($A$3:$A$8=$E$1,ROW($A$3:$A$8)),ROWS($A$1:A1))),"")
ARRAY entered, using CTRL SHIFT ENTER, not jet enter
then copy down and across as needed

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebc9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back