VBA Book Recommendation (not a question)

stuartw

Board Regular
Hi All

I noticed there are a lot of posts that start with "I'm new to VBA...." (me being the author of some of them) so I thought I'd share a book recommendation with you. I'm not normally a fan of the "For Dummies" series but if you are pretty proficient at Excel and you'd like to take your skills to the next level I would highly recommend "Excel 2007 VBA Programming for Dummies" by John Walkenbach.

If the immortal sentence "this can be done with code" makes you want to give up then it's a must read.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I haven't put it down - easy to read and "fun" (if you like that sort of thing).

Toodle oo for now.

Stu

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I share your view on this...
It is an easy book and well built. Lots of small concrete examples.

Upvote 0
If there are any mods out there reading this was wondering if it might be useful to have a recommended reading list made sticky? Helping people to help themselves being the idea.

Upvote 0
Curious if that book includes an issue I ran into just this past week; when it is better to use Excel features than code. I spent two or more days working on a complex bit of code to loop through masses of data and the processor hit was overwhelming to the point it wouldn't run to completion. I post the issue to the board and someone tells me "a pivot table will do that". Two minutes later I had the desired effect.

Upvote 0
I worked somewhere a few years ago and somebody had a large amount of data on a worksheet and then about 30 more worksheets reporting on that data. I'd estimate it took 3 months to set up. Who knows if it was even correct? A pivot table or two replaced the 30 worksheets and three month's work in, like you said, two minutes. And it was a superior, accurate & flexible solution. The guy was amazed to learn how easy it was, and that Excel has had pivot table since ~mid 90s.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
championbowler

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back