Need Special Books, to Get Deeper into Syntax of Formulas and VBA

daveG777

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I just read the "Excel Book Suggestions" thread.

However, I might be in an unusual category. For decades, I’ve used Excel and earlier spreadsheets (even the original VisiCalc, which I loved, and when it was the only thing available) to do small and large projects for companies, and I even taught individuals up to a "middle" level. However, I only made myself learn what I specifically needed for each project, and now I’d like to really get into the guts of the syntax of formulas and VBA. I’m not a beginner, and I'm quite comfortable with writing organized and structured code. However, as you can imagine, I’ve been unsystematic and even sloppy in my learning.

Copying others' work and just testing it a little and then throwing it into a module just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I want to stand behind every line of code I make, even if it's just for my own sake.

Also, I'm not looking for a reference manual. I don't want something like a dictionary but, rather, a book that teaches.

Any suggestions for a great book, or books, for me? Maybe, some day, I'll be able to contribute to this forum!

My special gratitude for all the great, and accurate, help I've recently received! It's been exciting!

Dave

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I learnt the same way with books in the 80's - using lotus 123 & early versions of Excel.
I used some of the QUE books and beginners books, - which i purchased , now long gone to Charity shops , as Excel brings out new functions with each version, and recently with 365 subscription version, new functions released with updates.

Back then i also used quite a few books from the local Library

Taught myself , Powerpoint, Access , Excel and also webdesign HTML

Started with a beginners guide or a "learn in XX days" which was popular in the 80's

so a google search does find quite a lot of books

I never got on with the "Dummy" series for some reason, did not like the style of writing

These days , for a lot of things , I turn to youtube, so many tutorials on various things these days, just need to find a style that you like

However, I suspect you will be surprised how much you do know,

I tend to follow forums, and answer questions, which extends my knowledge and keeps me upto date, as i find i need a reason to use excel , and providing solutions or reading other members solutions has helped a lot in keeping up to date , and seeing how to apply functions for solutions to specific problems

I would update your profile with which excel version you have and what platform running on - MacOSX for example will not work with a new function - and older excel versions do not have a lot of the functions released only recently

For decades, I’ve used Excel and earlier spreadsheets (even the original VisiCalc, which I loved, and when it was the only thing available) to do small and large projects for companies, and I even taught individuals up to a "middle" level.
I did exactly the same , and even had a workshop every few weeks, around 1997/8, for management and for employees to come along and the "team" would present a particular topic and also a workshop where we would help with a solution. I managed a group of 1 year placement students , who i used to do a lot of this work.
Working for an IT company DEC, and was responsible for a lot of the Business Information management - working on the Business side and liaising with IT to incorporate into a supported environment and datawarehouse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You may want to take a gander at some of the various VBA books that MrExcel has put out there.
I believe that there are different ones for different levels. Don't know if any match exactly what you are looking for, but it may be worth a look.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back