VBA code for Distinct Count

Michael Fowler

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Need help with two things ... (1) VBA code for Distinct Count of Values in a Column, and (2) VBA code for Distinct Count of Values in a Column, but with a condition from another Column (in effect, a Distinct CountIf).

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Both of those are easy to do with a formula. For example:

Book1
ABCDE
1ValueCondition# Unique# Unique w/1
2A153
3B2
4C1
5D2
6E1
7A1
8B2
9C1
10D2
11E1
12A1
13B2
14C1
15D2
16E1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2D2=ROWS(UNIQUE(A2:A16))
E2E2=ROWS(UNIQUE(FILTER(A2:A16,B2:B16=1)))

So you could write this in a VBA program using the Evaluate function:

VBA Code:
MyCount = EVALUATE("=ROWS(UNIQUE(A2:A16))")

The "traditional" way of writing it would be to find the last row, set up a loop and check each row. Something like:

VBA Code:
Sub Test1()
Dim lr As Long, r As Long, MyDic As Object, MyDic2 As Object

Set MyDic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    Set MyDic2 = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For r = 2 To lr
        MyDic(Cells(r, "A")) = MyDic(Cells(r, "A")) + 1
        If Cells(r, "B") = 2 Then MyDic2(Cells(r, "B")) = MyDic2(Cells(r, "B")) + 1
    Next r

Debug.Print MyDic.Count, MyDic2.Count
End Sub

But that's likely to be less efficient than the EVALUATE, which is less efficient than the sheet formula. I assume you're looking for techniques, not a specific macro here. If so, what exactly is your final goal?

Upvote 0
Both of those are easy to do with a formula. For example:

Book1
ABCDE
1ValueCondition# Unique# Unique w/1
2A153
3B2
4C1
5D2
6E1
7A1
8B2
9C1
10D2
11E1
12A1
13B2
14C1
15D2
16E1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2D2=ROWS(UNIQUE(A2:A16))
E2E2=ROWS(UNIQUE(FILTER(A2:A16,B2:B16=1)))

So you could write this in a VBA program using the Evaluate function:

VBA Code:
MyCount = EVALUATE("=ROWS(UNIQUE(A2:A16))")

The "traditional" way of writing it would be to find the last row, set up a loop and check each row. Something like:

VBA Code:
Sub Test1()
Dim lr As Long, r As Long, MyDic As Object, MyDic2 As Object

Set MyDic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    Set MyDic2 = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For r = 2 To lr
        MyDic(Cells(r, "A")) = MyDic(Cells(r, "A")) + 1
        If Cells(r, "B") = 2 Then MyDic2(Cells(r, "B")) = MyDic2(Cells(r, "B")) + 1
    Next r

Debug.Print MyDic.Count, MyDic2.Count
End Sub

But that's likely to be less efficient than the EVALUATE, which is less efficient than the sheet formula. I assume you're looking for techniques, not a specific macro here. If so, what exactly is your final goal?
Hi Eric. The reason I can't pre-write the formula is because it would be referencing cells that are going to be deleted as part of a macro when run, and hence it would return #N/A. So I want to have the macro do all its deleting and then get VBA to insert the Count Distinct at the end of the macro.

Upvote 0
Hi again Eric. Some more info : This is what the formula would be if the range wasn't dynamic ...
=SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF('Subledger Data'!H2:H300,'Subledger Data'!H2:H300))
... but it my case the "300" will be changing each time, due to rows being deleted earlier in the macro.

Upvote 0
Couldn't you use something like this, using any number that will be bigger than any data you will ever have in column H of 'Subledger data' where I have used 1000?
For the moment I have assumed that there will always be at least one non-blank cell in the range.

VBA Code:
Sub Test()
  Dim MyCount As Long

With Sheets("Subledger Data").Range("H2:H1000")
    MyCount = .Worksheet.Evaluate(Replace("rows(unique(filter(#,#<>"""")))", "#", .Address))
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
The reason I can't pre-write the formula is because it would be referencing cells that are going to be deleted as part of a macro when run,
What about this formula then? Again just ensuring where I have 1000 use a number that will be bigger than any remaining rows in the relevant range after your macro has deleted rows.
Excel Formula:
=LET(c,'Subledger Data'!H:H,r,INDEX(c,2):INDEX(c,1000),ROWS(UNIQUE(FILTER(r,r<>""))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What about this formula then? Again just ensuring where I have 1000 use a number that will be bigger than any remaining rows in the relevant range after your macro has deleted rows.
Excel Formula:
=LET(c,'Subledger Data'!H:H,r,INDEX(c,1):INDEX(c,1000),ROWS(UNIQUE(FILTER(r,r<>""))))

Hi Peter, thanks for helping me, but neither option worked. Your first suggestion (Sub Test) yielded the debugger, and in the second option it seems to not know what the "c" and "r'" in the formula are (as I don't).

Upvote 0
Hi Peter, thanks for helping me, but neither option worked. Your first suggestion (Sub Test) yielded the debugger, and in the second option it seems to not know what the "c" and "r'" in the formula are (as I don't).
Then are you actually working with Excel 365 or 2021 as shown in your profile?

Upvote 0
Presently I'm in the work office on Excel 2016. (I'm on 2021 at home.)
  1. Hmm, the suggestions offered have been based on what is shown in your profile. If you need your question answered for different versions it obviously would be best to state that in the first post of a thread.
  2. Do you need this solution for work or for home?
  3. If you are on 2016 in the office and 2021 at home, when are you using the 365 shown in your profile?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back