VBA code that references another directory if one does not work

willow1985

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet that contains a macro that when run opens various other spreadsheets, grabs their data and closes them. However this main spreadsheet is accessed by multiple users in 2 different ways on a network. Sometimes the drive can appear as X and other times as an address like 190.165.1.22\

Basically what I am looking for is if the macro runs into an error where it cannot find the drive (I am assuming this is the problem because I am getting a Subscript out of range Error) that it will try the 2nd directory (see VBA code)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1649947717384.png

VBA Code:
Dim CAPAD As String

Dim CCD As String

Dim CID As String

Dim NCRD As String

Dim ASD As String

Dim CAPAN As String

Dim CCN As String

Dim CIN As String

Dim NCRN As String

Dim ASN As String

CAPAD = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B15").Value ‘ or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B22").Value

CCD = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B16").Value ‘or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B23").Value

CID = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B17").Value ‘or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B24").Value

NCRD = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B18").Value ‘or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B25").Value

ASD = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B19").Value ‘or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B26").Value

CAPAN = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B29").Value

CCN = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B30").Value

CIN = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B31").Value

NCRN = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B32").Value

ASN = Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B33").Value

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B15B15="\\190.165.1.22\cad\QUALITY\Group\Corrective Actions\CAPA findings\"&B29
B16B16="\\190.165.1.22\cad\QUALITY\Group\Corrective Actions\Customer Concerns - Corrective Action\"&B30
B17B17="\\190.165.1.22\com\Lean Folder\"&B31
B18B18="\\190.165.1.22\cad\QUALITY\Group\Supplier Non-Conformance Reports\"&B32
B19B19="\\190.165.1.22\cad\QUALITY\Group\Audit\"&B33
B22B22="X:\QUALITY\Group\Corrective Actions\CAPA findings\"&B29
B23B23="X:\QUALITY\Group\Corrective Actions\Customer Concerns - Corrective Action\"&B30
B24B24="S:\Lean Folder\"&B31
B25B25="X:\QUALITY\Group\Supplier Non-Conformance Reports\"&B32
B26B26="X:\QUALITY\Group\Audit\"&B33

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
In Access it's customary to use UNC file paths rather than drive volume letters in a multi user network environment, so that would be my suggestion.

Upvote 0
In Access it's customary to use UNC file paths rather than drive volume letters in a multi user network environment, so that would be my suggestion.
I do not know what a UNC file path is, if that is the number file path then sometimes it does not work so I wanted the letter backup

Upvote 0
The number set looks like an IP address to me. Can't say I've ever seen that used for a network path but I guess it's possible. The letter is like a nickname for a drive in a server. Google UNC paths or ask your IT guy what server name is, or you might be able to discover at the server/drive properties sheet in File Explorer.

Upvote 0
The number set looks like an IP address to me. Can't say I've ever seen that used for a network path but I guess it's possible. The letter is like a nickname for a drive in a server. Google UNC paths or ask your IT guy what server name is, or you might be able to discover at the server/drive properties sheet in File Explorer.

IT advised that is the server name. it is a number followed by the word cad: \\190.165.1.22\cad\
But it still has not been working remote.

Regardless is there a way to reference 2 locations?

the first however if there is an error reference the 2nd?

Upvote 0
I have no doubt it's possible but I have no idea what you consider the 2nd to be. What is the alternate (or as you say, 2nd) to row 15? Row 16 or row 22 - or something else? If you are going to take a stab at it, create an error handler and trap error 9. Then either in the error handler you could do an Offset and get the other path, or you could Resume Next - where you then test if the error property is 9 in the main body of the code. If so, retrieve the alternate path. That suggestion assumes the next choice won't error. If doing Offset, you might want to have a cell with a note that says "do not alter the relationships of these rows" or something similar.

This would be another way to write your code (less typing)
VBA Code:
Dim CAPAD As String, CCD As String, CID As String, NCRD As String
Dim ASD As String, CAPAN As String, CCN As String, CIN As String
Dim NCRN As String, ASN As String

With Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data")
   CAPAD = .Range("B15") ' or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B22").Value
   CCD = .Range("B16") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B23").Value
   CID = .Range("B17") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B24").Value
   NCRD = .Range("B18") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B25").Value
   ASD = .Range("B19") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B26").Value
   CAPAN = .Range("B29")
   CCN = .Range("B30")
   CIN = .Range("B31")
   NCRN = .Range("B32")
   ASN = .Range("B33")
End With
.Value is optional. I rarely use it in Access vba & so far, don't see a compelling reason to use it in Excel vba either.
In any event, the reason the numeric references (server names) fail might be due to something else. If I wanted to pursue that, I'd start typing that string into a File Explorer dialog and see where it gets me.

EDIT - don't know what you mean by "remote" either. Working from home?
Also if needing help with getting the alternate path, the rest of the code is probably needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Without knowing how you raise the error, here is the gist of one approach that uses an error handler. If you try it and it doesn't work, the rest of your code should clear up the questions. I think I figured out from you code comments that the alternate path is 7 rows down so I went with that. IMO you would want to step through the code to completion lest you end up in a loop over error 9. A counter might be a wise addition so that if that error gets raised (e.g. 2 times) code should stop trying.
VBA Code:

On Error GoTo errHandler
i = 0 'not really needed, but if debugging code, i can be something other than zero

setPaths:
   CAPAD = .Range("B15").Offset(i,0)
   CCD = .Range("B16").Offset(i,0)
   CID = .Range("B17").Offset(i,0)
   NCRD = .Range("B18").Offset(i,0)
   ASD = .Range("B19").Offset(i,0)
   CAPAN = .Range("B29")
   CCN = .Range("B30")
   CIN = .Range("B31")
   NCRN = .Range("B32")
   ASN = .Range("B33")
End With

exitHere:
Exit Sub

errHandler:
If err.Number = 9 Then 
  i = 7
  Resume setPaths
Else
  "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
  Resume exitHere ' just a guess
End If

Upvote 0
Is this the right solution for you?

This only checks for the existence of the network path "\\ 190.165.1.22 \ cad" at the beginning of the macro. If the network path is not found, it switches to the Directory2 option.

VBA Code:
Sub test_networkpath

Dim fso As Object
 Set fso = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject") 

If fso.FolderExists("\\190.165.1.22\cad") Then
           CAPAD = .Range("B15") ' or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B22").Value
           CCD = .Range("B16") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B23").Value
           CID = .Range("B17") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B24").Value
           NCRD = .Range("B18") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B25").Value
           ASD = .Range("B19") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B26").Value
           CAPAN = .Range("B29")
           CCN = .Range("B30")
           CIN = .Range("B31")
           NCRN = .Range("B32")
           ASN = .Range("B33")
        End With
    Else
           CAPAD = .Range("B22") ' or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B22").Value
           CCD = .Range("B23") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B23").Value
           CID = .Range("B24") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B24").Value
           NCRD = .Range("B25") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B25").Value
           ASD = .Range("B26") 'or Workbooks("Quality Dashboard").Sheets("Graph Data").Range("B26").Value
           CAPAN = .Range("B29")
           CCN = .Range("B30")
           CIN = .Range("B31")
           NCRN = .Range("B32")
           ASN = .Range("B33")
        End With
    End If

end sub

Upvote 0
The solution in my previous message will answer your question, but may not resolve your issue. Drive letter X is probably the path to the server's 190.165.1.22 folder. In that case, if the path "\\190.165.1.22\cad\" does not work, then usually drive letter x should not work either.

However, without knowing your environment, I can’t be sure, so maybe the easiest thing to do is try the macro?

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you all for the information. After reading everything you wrote, expecially Tupe77 information that X would not work if the server path does not work got me thinking. It turned out the settings were changed on my pc the last time IT was in it to include file extensions so the macro was looking for the file extension of my main book "Quality Dashboard". A quick change in settings fixed everything.

Thank you all so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back