VBA Code to delete column based on headers not equal to

Chazzo

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello All,

I'd like to get thoughts on the most efficient vba code that will search a row of headers in a sheet and then delete the entire column if it is not equal to a list of values.

For example, in the header row below where there are Football teams, i would like to delete the entire column if the teams are not equal to the Buffalo Bills, New York Jets, and Cleveland Browns.

Let's say that the Buffalo Bills is in cell B2.

Currently I do not have any code because I'm looking for thoughts on the best methods to use in a scenario like this... my actual sheet will have roughly 200 columns, and i only need to keep 14 of them.

As always, any feedback with actual code would be greatly appreciated and I will test and provide feedback... thanks everyone!

Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
New York
Florida
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Maryland
Ohio
Ohio
Pennsylvania

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
This could be one way to do it:

VBA Code:
Sub DeleteNonApprovedColumns()
'
    Dim HeaderColumn            As Long, HeaderRow                  As Long
    Dim FirstHeaderColumnNumber As Long, LastHeaderColumnNumber     As Long
    Dim TeamName                As String
'
    FirstHeaderColumnNumber = 2                                                     ' <--- Set this to the FirstHeaderColumnNumber
    HeaderRow = 2                                                                   ' <--- Set this to the Header row
'
    LastHeaderColumnNumber = Cells(HeaderRow, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column   ' LastHeaderColumnNumber
'
    For HeaderColumn = LastHeaderColumnNumber To FirstHeaderColumnNumber Step -1    ' Loop through the Header range
        TeamName = Cells(HeaderRow, HeaderColumn).Value                             '   Save the Header value into TeamName
'
        Select Case TeamName                                                        '   Check the TeamName found as a Header
            Case "Buffalo Bills", "New York Jets", "Cleveland Browns"               '       If approved name found, do nothing
            Case Else                                                               '       Else ...
                Columns(HeaderColumn).Delete                                        '           Delete the column
        End Select
    Next                                                                            ' Loop baack
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

VBA Code:
'
'
    FirstHeaderColumnNumber = 2                                                     ' <--- Set this to the FirstHeaderColumnNumber
    HeaderRow = 2                                                                   ' <--- Set this to the Header row
'
    LastHeaderColumnNumber = Cells(HeaderRow, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column   ' LastHeaderColumnNumber
'
    For HeaderColumn = LastHeaderColumnNumber To FirstHeaderColumnNumber Step -1    ' Loop through the Header range
        TeamName = Cells(HeaderRow, HeaderColumn).Value                             '   Save the Header value into TeamName
'
        Select Case TeamName                                                        '   Check the TeamName found as a Header
            Case "Buffalo Bills", "New York Jets", "Cleveland Browns"               '       If approved name found, do nothing
            Case Else                                                               '       Else ...
                Columns(HeaderColumn).Delete                                        '           Delete the column
        End Select
    Next                                                                            ' Loop baack
End Sub

VBA Code:
'
'
'
'
'
        End Select
End Sub
[/CODE
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
johnnyL

Thank you!

This is a great solution and thank you for adding comments to explain the variables and how each line of code is executing.

I tested this on my actual file which has 207 columns and it only took 4 seconds to execute which is fantastic.

Thanks again for the solution.

-Chazzo

Upvote 0
Glad to help. I will take another look at it shortly, how many rows do you have?

Upvote 0
The row
Glad to help. I will take another look at it shortly, how many rows do you have?
The row count is variable, usually around 100-200k.

It is a download which is exported from tableau and opens as a .csv file.

What I’m doing is deleting 193 of the 207 columns and then copy/pasting the 14 columns into another workbook to feed a dashboard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back