VBA code to find cell based on another cells value

VBAdonkey

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have no formal coding training or background and am attempting to teach myself a bit of VBA as we use a lot of spreadsheets in my job (oil and gas). Please excuse my very poor knowledge and dumb questions.

There is an xls we use which pulls in a lot of information from another application (PI processbooks) and as a result is running really slowly. I am trying to write a code which will find a row by date (looking for a date that is always yesterday) then copy and paste values everything prior to that. I am really struggling! I am trying to do the following

Find and select a cell in column A that matches another cell (J1). J1 is yesterdays date now()-1. Copy and paste values from that matched cell columns C:H up to the start of the workbook.

However I can't even get the find and select bit right, after hours of googling yesterday. A1 = B1, with the same date format as J1, though i am not sure if this is necessary?

Current code is

VBA Code:
Dim Found As Range
Range("A1").Select
Set Found = Cells.find(What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J1").Value, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False _
, SearchFormat:=False)

BBpicalcimage.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help and again apologies for basic errors and silly questions.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
VBA Code:
Sub FindDate()
    Dim rngSearch As Range '//Where to search
    Dim rngFound As Range  '//Range with found date
    Dim dtSearch As Date   '//What search

dtSearch = #2/19/2022# '//Define date to search
    Set rngSearch = Columns("A") '//Use column A for search
    Set rngFound = rngSearch.Find(What:=dtSearch, SearchOrder:=xlPrevious) '//Do searching
    If Not rngFound Is Nothing Then
        '// Found
        With rngFound
            '// Copy to the first row
            Cells("C1:H1").Value = Range(Cells(.Row, "C"), .Cells(.Row, "H")).Value
        End With
    Else
        '// Did not find. Do something about it...
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
May be
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Dim Found As Range
    Set Found = Cells.Find(What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J1").Value, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
                           xlPart, SearchDirection:=xlDown)
    Cells(1, 3).Resize(Found.Row, 5).Copy Cells(1, 16)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies folks, neither of those seem to work though. I don't get any errors, just nothing happens? In the example picture in OP, I run it and the selected cell would still be A16.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Dim Found As Range
    Dim x
    Set Found = Cells.Find(What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J1").Value, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
    x = Found.Row
    Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 3).Resize(x, 5).Copy Cells(1, 16)
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Dim Found As Range
    Dim x
    x = Found.Row
    Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 3).Resize(x, 5).Copy Cells(1, 16)
End Sub
I get a run time error '91' object variable or With block variable not set, x = found.row highlighted.

Upvote 0
Hello,​
this error occurs when there is nothing found so you must check before the Found variable like you can see in the VBA example of Range.Find …​
You can also use the MATCH worksheet function rather than Range.Find.​
For further help if really necessary as my Excel version can't work from a picture :rolleyes: the better is you link your workbook on a files host website like Dropbox …​

Upvote 0
Hello,​
this error occurs when there is nothing found so you must check before the Found variable like you can see in the VBA example of Range.Find …​
You can also use the MATCH worksheet function rather than Range.Find.​
For further help if really necessary as my Excel version can't work from a picture :rolleyes: the better is you link your workbook on a files host website like Dropbox …​
Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back