vba commandbutton calling an worksheet update

BobtBuilder

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a worksheet update that simply takes a line resorts it and then brings you to the line that was entered.
The problem is I have a command button that adds lines based on an action, so it calls the worksheet update but the code that takes me to the line should not be run if a commandbutton is used just the code that resorts.
So I was wondering if there was a way to identify that the code was activated from a commandbutton, tried a variable but it gets deinitialised when leaving the commandbutton.

Not sure if this is clear

Thanks

So "Worksheet_Change" and "Worksheet_SelectionChange" are event procedure VBA codes that are run automatically when something happens ("Worksheet_Change" when a cell is manually updated and "Worksheet_SelectionChange" runs when a cell is selected.

If you want your command button code to run, and not invoke these events procedures to run, you can do that by temporarily disabling events from firing. You can do that by placing this line of code near the top of your command button code:
VBA Code:
Application.EnableEvents = False

However, you need to turn it back on at the end of your code so that your automatic event procedure code will continue to work.
You do that by putting this line near the end of your command button code:
VBA Code:
Application.EnableEvents = True

So it sounds like adding those two lines to your Command Button code should do what you want.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
So "Worksheet_Change" and "Worksheet_SelectionChange" are event procedure VBA codes that are run automatically when something happens ("Worksheet_Change" when a cell is manually updated and "Worksheet_SelectionChange" runs when a cell is selected.

If you want your command button code to run, and not invoke these events procedures to run, you can do that by temporarily disabling events from firing. You can do that by placing this line of code near the top of your command button code:
VBA Code:
Application.EnableEvents = False

However, you need to turn it back on at the end of your code so that your automatic event procedure code will continue to work.
You do that by putting this line near the end of your command button code:
VBA Code:
Application.EnableEvents = True

So it sounds like adding those two lines to your Command Button code should do what you want.
Thank you, but it does have to run some of it, ie automatic resorting, it is about 1/3 that it does not need to run, and one line that gives me an error when it does. It is the origcell .

Upvote 0
Thank you, but it does have to run some of it, ie automatic resorting, it is about 1/3 that it does not need to run, and one line that gives me an error when it does. It is the origcell .
I would then recommend taking the sorting out of the current event Worksheet_Change procedure code and put it in its own procedure, like this:
VBA Code:
Sub MySort()

Dim tbl As ListObject
Set tbl = Me.ListObjects(1) ' Assuming your table is the first ListObject on the sheet
Set rngIntersect = Intersect(Target, tbl.ListColumns("Date").DataBodyRange)

' Sort the table based on the "Date" column in ascending order
tbl.Sort.SortFields.Clear
tbl.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=tbl.ListColumns("Date").DataBodyRange, SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
tbl.Sort.Apply

End Sub
Then, you can explicitly call this procedure from BOTH your Worksheet_Change event procedure, and your Comman Button procedure with a line of code like this:
VBA Code:
Call MySort

Upvote 0
I would then recommend taking the sorting out of the current event Worksheet_Change procedure code and put it in its own procedure, like this:
VBA Code:
Sub MySort()

Dim tbl As ListObject
Set tbl = Me.ListObjects(1) ' Assuming your table is the first ListObject on the sheet
Set rngIntersect = Intersect(Target, tbl.ListColumns("Date").DataBodyRange)

tbl.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=tbl.ListColumns("Date").DataBodyRange, SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
tbl.Sort.Apply

End Sub
Then, you can explicitly call this procedure from BOTH your Worksheet_Change event procedure, and your Comman Button procedure with a line of code like this:
VBA Code:
Call MySort
Thanks for that. I am not much of a coder and have put this together by reading and the help of others. I tried putting it where I thought it would work and I keep getting errors, where would you put the call mysort in command and update? Thanks

Upvote 0
I just noticed one thing though - you are using the "Target" range in your sort. So we probably will need to pass the range as a parameter, i.e.
Rich (BB code):
Sub MySort(myTarget as Range)

Dim tbl As ListObject
Set rngIntersect = Intersect(myTarget, tbl.ListColumns("Date").DataBodyRange)

tbl.Sort.Apply

End Sub
So whenever you call it, you will need to pass in the appropriate range value, i.e. from the "Worksheet_Change" procedure, it would be:
VBA Code:
Call MySort(Target)

Upvote 0
I just noticed one thing though - you are using the "Target" range in your sort. So we probably will need to pass the range as a parameter, i.e.
Rich (BB code):
Sub MySort(myTarget as Range)

Dim tbl As ListObject
Set rngIntersect = Intersect(myTarget, tbl.ListColumns("Date").DataBodyRange)

tbl.Sort.Apply

End Sub
So whenever you call it, you will need to pass in the appropriate range value, i.e. from the "Worksheet_Change" procedure, it would be:
VBA Code:
Call MySort(Target)
I simply used the origcell as a variable and if it existed it would run and if it did not it would not.
Thanks everyone

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back