VBA Determining if a cell is Relative or Absolute

Festus Hagen

Hi all,

Excel 97, VBA ...

Is there a property or ??? to determine if a formula is absolute or relative??

ie: $A$1 or A1

Or does one have to look for the '$' ...

Thanks

-Enjoy
fh <font color="#FF0000">:</font> )_~

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hello Festus,

I am not really sure what you want to do but perhaps this help. Cell referencing is discretionary. It is the programmer's choice when writing formulas or code as to how a cell will be referenced.

In Excel, there are two referencing styles: A1 and R1C1. In A1 style, the dollar sign indicates if the column or row is absolute. In R1C1 style, a number follows either the R or C to indicate an absolute.

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

Upvote 0
Hmmm ... Not sure I can explain it more clearly ...

Try this.
In VBA, I need to determine if an A1 notation formula in a cell is xlAbsolute or xlRelative!
Meaning does it look to a human like "$A$1" or "A1".

Thanks

-Enjoy
fh <font color="#FF0000">:</font> )_~

Upvote 0
Hello Festus,

Can you give me an example?

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

Upvote 0
Hello Festus,

I am not really sure what you want to do but perhaps this help. Cell referencing is discretionary. It is the programmer's choice when writing formulas or code as to how a cell will be referenced.

In Excel, there are two referencing styles: A1 and R1C1.In A1 style, the dollar sign indicates if the column or row is absolute. In R1C1 style, a number follows either the R or C to indicate an absolute.

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

Leith ... In your words above you state
In A1 style, the dollar sign indicates if the column or row is absolute

That is what I want to determine .... They are already in A1 notation (style) and I need to know if they are Absolute (have a dollar sign) or Relative (Do not have a dollar sign)

pseudo code ...
if Range.Formula = xlAbsolute Then
MsgBox "Yea Absolute"
Else
MsgBox "Wrong, It's Relative"
End if

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Upvote 0
Hello Festus,

A formula can contain both types of references and there is no property or method to inform you if the formula is absolute, relative, or mixed. The best you could do is create a VBA macro to examine the formula for "$" characters. Still this won't be 100% accurate as both types may still be present in the formula.
Code:
Function IsAbsPresent(ByVal xlFormula As String) As Boolean
  Dim I as Long
    I = InStr(xlFormula, "$")
    If I > 0 Then IsAbsPresent = True
End Function
Sincerely,
Leith Ross

Upvote 0
You should probably make that Volatile and the rest can be reduced to 1 line. I would pull it from a formula other than a string though.

Code:
Function IsAbsPresent(r As Range) As Boolean
Application.Volatile
If r.HasFormula Then IsAbsPresent = InStr(r.Formula, "$")
End Function

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I like the approach of looking for the $ since a cell containing the string "I have $10" would imply that there's an absolute reference in that cell [edit: or, perhaps more relevant, =TEXT(A1,"$0.00"), which has a relative reference that would show as absolute].

I suppose you could compare:

Code:
YourRange.Formula

against

Code:
Application.ConvertFormula (Formula:=YourRange.Formula, FromReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToAbsolute:=xlRelRowAbsColumn)

Application.ConvertFormula (Formula:=YourRange.Formula, FromReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToAbsolute:=xlAbsRowRelColumn)

Application.ConvertFormula (Formula:=YourRange.Formula, FromReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToAbsolute:=xlAbsolute)

Application.ConvertFormula (Formula:=YourRange.Formula, FromReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToReferenceStyle:=xlA1, ToAbsolute:=xlRelative)

And figure out which one it matches?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you!

That's not the answer I was hoping for, I was hoping for a better solution!

For my case, that's all I'm concerned about and they are always the same ... A1 notation and either Absolute or Relative ... ie: have Dollars signs or not!

I'm already using:
Code:
if instr(ActiveCell.Formula, "$")  Then
  'It's Absolute ...
Else
  It's Relative ...
end if

NOTE:
Oaktree, You must have posted while I was posting this, I have not looked at your solution yet.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back