VBA Error Handling

ItalianPlatinum

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I thought this would be an easy find but I am actually having trouble finding a way to accomplish this. I am looking for a way pop a warning message if someone ran the VBA sub already. Essentially I have a file and only want my PRE work run once only and if a user tries to run it a second time I want an error message to display to sort of slow them down like are you sure you want to run this it was already run. I couldnt find anything via google searches. Someone able to help?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
A good way to do it is have your procedure update some cell on your sheet that indicates that the macro was run (it could be the date ran, or any other value you want).

Then you can put an IF...THEN clause at the beginning of your code that checks this value, and if it it matches, return your message box and exit your sub.

Upvote 0
It could say anything you want.
Where date comes in handy is if you want it to be run every day, but only once a day. Using date would easily allow you to verify when it was last run.

So, if you wanted to place the current date in cell Z1, you would just put something like:
VBA Code:
Range("Z1") = Date

Then, at the beginning of your code, you could have something like:
VBA Code:
If Range("Z1") = Date Then
    Msgbox "You already ran this today!"
    Exit Sub
End If

Upvote 0
It could say anything you want.
Where date comes in handy is if you want it to be run every day, but only once a day. Using date would easily allow you to verify when it was last run.

So, if you wanted to place the current date in cell Z1, you would just put something like:
VBA Code:
Range("Z1") = Date

Then, at the beginning of your code, you could have something like:
VBA Code:
If Range("Z1") = Date Then
    Msgbox "You already ran this today!"
    Exit Sub
End If
What if I wanted the option to rerun just pop up a warning would i remove the exit sub?

Upvote 0
What if I wanted the option to rerun just pop up a warning would i remove the exit sub?
Yes.

Don't be afraid to try some of these things for yourself and see what happens (just be sure to save a good copy of the file elsewhere in case things go haywire).
That is one of the best ways to learn, trial and error (that is what we do! ;)).

Upvote 0
ok testing and failing here. If i want date and time to show i can use NOW, but i cant find a way to use NOW but if it is tomorrow to work and if it is still today to not know what I mean?

Upvote 0
Why do you need/care about time?

Think about it, if you use NOW(), it will never work, as time is constantly changing, and when you run it again, time will have already passed, so it will never be equal to the value you saved (in 1 second, the time will NOT be the same as it is now).

However, if you use DATE, then in 5 minutes, it will STILL be the same date (unless you it is after 11:55 PM).

Upvote 0
more to know when it was run. but i think im all set ill set two cells one for NOW and one for DATE and will use DATE for the logic. Is there a way to do a decision tree on the msgbox. if yes continue to sub if no exit sub?

Upvote 0
more to know when it was run. but i think im all set ill set two cells one for NOW and one for DATE and will use DATE for the logic
If that is the case, you can do it with one variable, like this:
VBA Code:
If Int(Range("Z1")) = Date Then
    MsgBox "You already ran this today!"
    Exit Sub
End If
The "INT" piece remove the time component from the value in cell Z1 for sake of the comparison.

Is there a way to do a decision tree on the msgbox. if yes continue to sub if no exit sub?
No need to. If you put that code above at the beginning of your code, then if it meets the conditions, it returns te MsgBox and exits the sub.
If it does not meet the condition, it continues on with the rest of the code.

No need to do anything else special, the logic it is already baked into how we set this up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fcarfagna

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back