VBA - Export Range to Chart object / save image (higher resolution?)

GBagley

Board Regular
I'm using the code below to export and save a range (yes, it's a large range!) to an image file. Is there a way to get a higher resolution image using this method?Or is it a limitation of how CopyPicture works with a chart? Or an issue with the size of my range? Gif was no better, and trying a bitmap ended up with a ~200mb image file! The JPG images are only about 40k each. I also tried changing the size of the chart object, but that seems to just stretch the image.

Also, while we're here, I occasionally get an error raised on the line that I highlighted below, which is why I have the error handler looping back to try it again. It will run fine after a couple repeated passes. Any ideas on how to fix that? I tried adding a wait time of up to 5 seconds just before that line, but that didn't seem to help :confused:

Code:
Sub Export_Range_Image()

' =========================================
' Code to save selected Excel Range as Image
' =========================================

Dim oRange As Range
Dim oCht As Chart
Dim oImg As Picture
Dim nowTime As String
Dim tryagainloop As Integer
Dim ShTemp As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set oRange = ActiveSheet.Range("A1:TD256")

Set ShTemp = Worksheets.Add
Charts.Add
ActiveChart.location Where:=xlLocationAsObject, Name:=ShTemp.Name
Set oCht = ActiveChart

On Error GoTo TryAgain

TryAgain:
Err.Clear

[COLOR="Yellow"]oRange.CopyPicture xlScreen, xlPicture[/COLOR]

oCht.Paste

On Error Resume Next
MkDir ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Saved_Images"

oCht.Export Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Saved_Images\" & nowDate & " - " & VisTitle & ".jpg", Filtername:="JPG"

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ShTemp.Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Good read, thanks! I got the resolution figured out (turns out resizing the chart does increase the size/resolution of the image that is exported, I had just been looking at it in a smaller userform image box, so I couldn't see the difference).

Now I'm having a couple other issues. I want to export the chart as a .PNG file, but I get an error saying it's not a valid image type.

oCht.Export Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Saved_Images\" & nowDate & " - " & VisTitle & ".png", Filtername:="PNG"

Either that, or it will export fine but I'll get an 'invalid image type' error when I try to load it into the image control in my userform. Seems to change depending on what computer I'm using...

Also occasionally getting an error on:

ActiveChart.CopyPicture xlScreen, xlPicture

But if I step through it a couple times, it will run fine.

I'll post more specific code/error messages when I get another change to run the program.

Upvote 0
This thread's been idle for a long time, but there were a few unanswered points.

1. I don't know why it's telling you sometimes that .PNG is an invalid image type.

2. You can only load BMP, JPG, and GIF images into a UserForm control. PNG is too modern for VBA, if you can believe that.

3. Try to insert a DoEvents call before the offending line:

Code:
DoEvents
ActiveChart.CopyPicture xlScreen, xlPicture

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back