VBA: Find and Replace Exact Match Words

delonte

After extensive research I finally found a VBS code to find and replace words in paragraphs only if its an exact match. The only problem I have is that the code only replaces a certain word only once in a specific cell.

So columns A through C have a bunch of paragraphs of text. Using this macro, it automatically scans all the words in column D and if it finds those words anywhere in columns A through C, it will replace it with the word next to it on column E. So if the sentence is "Hello how is hell hell?" in column A. And in column D there is a word hell - then the code below doesn't replace "hello" at all (working as intended), it does replace the first "hell" in the sentence (working as intended), but does not replace the second "hell" (not working as intended).

Anyone have any idea how to tweak the code so all words get replaced, and not just the first instance?

The code:

Code:
Sub exa()Dim _
rngLookFor          As Range, _
rngDataCell         As Range, _
strFormula          As String

For Each rngLookFor In Range("D1:D99")
        For Each rngDataCell In Range("A1:C99")

strFormula = rngDataCell.Text
            If ReturnReplacement(rngLookFor.Text, rngLookFor.Offset(, 1).Text, strFormula) Then
                rngDataCell.Value = strFormula
            End If
        Next
    Next
End Sub

Function ReturnReplacement(LookFor As String, _
                           ReplaceWith As String, _
                           FormulaString As String _
                           ) As Boolean
Static REX As Object '<--- RegExp

If REX Is Nothing Then
        Set REX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
        REX.Global = False
        REX.IgnoreCase = True
    End If

With REX
        .Pattern = "\b" & LookFor & "\b"

If .Test(FormulaString) Then
            FormulaString = .replace(FormulaString, ReplaceWith)
            ReturnReplacement = True
        End If
    End With
End Function

Code above found from second to last post in: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/468331-find-replace-exact-only-2.html

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this back up but this code has been giving me some problems. Sometimes the macro replaces strings of letters that are only a part of a word. So for example if I want the macro to replace the word 'ice' with 'cold', if it sees a word like 'nice' it will replaced it to 'ncold'. This error didn't show up in small tests, but now that I have hundreds of words being replaced in same go, excel seems to screw up for some reason.
I would need to see a file where this happens (I need to see that file before my code is run against it) so I can debug it "live" as it happens. Can you send a copy of such a workbook for me to test? My email address is...

rick DOT news AT verizon DOT net

Please include the title of this thread in your email so I relate the file you send back here and so I can find this thread again to post my response.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I would need to see a file where this happens (I need to see that file before my code is run against it) so I can debug it "live" as it happens. Can you send a copy of such a workbook for me to test? My email address is...

rick DOT news AT verizon DOT net

Please include the title of this thread in your email so I relate the file you send back here and so I can find this thread again to post my response.

Thanks alot for getting back to me Rick, I've isolated the problem to a very simple example.

Cell A1 write: bot robot
Cell D1 write: bot
Cell E1 write: droid

Then if you run the macro 'delontereplace3' you prepared, the result will be:

Cell A1 becomes: droid rodroid

The first word gets replaced because its exact match (as it should) but the second word 'robot' should not get replaced at all. This problem only seems to occur when a word in A1 has been replaced once, then for future instances it no longer looks for exact match to replace.

Upvote 0
Thanks alot for getting back to me Rick, I've isolated the problem to a very simple example.

Cell A1 write: bot robot
Cell D1 write: bot
Cell E1 write: droid

Then if you run the macro 'delontereplace3' you prepared, the result will be:

Cell A1 becomes: droid rodroid

The first word gets replaced because its exact match (as it should) but the second word 'robot' should not get replaced at all. This problem only seems to occur when a word in A1 has been replaced once, then for future instances it no longer looks for exact match to replace.

Ahh, okay, I see. It looks like my original testing was faulty.:oops: Give this new code a try...
Code:
Sub delonteReplace4()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, C As Range, Cel As Range, S As Variant, CellText As String
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
  For X = 1 To LastRow
    Cells(X, "F").Value = X
    Cells(X, "G").Value = UBound(Split(Cells(X, "D").Value))
    Cells(X, "H").Value = Len(Cells(X, "D").Value)
  Next

ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Clear
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("G1:G" & LastRow), _
      SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("H1:H" & LastRow), _
  With ActiveSheet.Sort
      .SetRange Range("D1:H" & LastRow)
      .Header = xlNo
      .MatchCase = False
      .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
      .SortMethod = xlPinYin
      .Apply
  End With

For Each C In Range("D1:D" & LastRow)
    For Each Cel In Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Columns("A:C"))
      CellText = Cel.Value
      For X = Len(CellText) To 1 Step -1
        If Mid(" " & CellText & " ", X, Len(C) + 2) Like "[!0-9A-Za-z]" & C & "[!0-9A-Za-z]" Then
          Mid(CellText, X, Len(C)) = String(Len(C), "@")
        End If
      Next
      Cel = Replace(CellText, String(Len(C), "@"), C.Offset(, 1))
    Next
  Next

ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("F1:F" & LastRow), _
      SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
  With ActiveSheet.Sort
      .Header = xlNo
      .MatchCase = False
      .SortMethod = xlPinYin
      .Apply
  End With
  Columns("F:H").Delete

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Ahh, okay, I see. It looks like my original testing was faulty.:oops: Give this new code a try...
Code:
Sub delonteReplace4()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, C As Range, Cel As Range, S As Variant, CellText As String
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
  For X = 1 To LastRow
    Cells(X, "F").Value = X
    Cells(X, "G").Value = UBound(Split(Cells(X, "D").Value))
    Cells(X, "H").Value = Len(Cells(X, "D").Value)
  Next

ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("G1:G" & LastRow), _
  ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("H1:H" & LastRow), _
  With ActiveSheet.Sort
      .Header = xlNo
      .MatchCase = False
      .SortMethod = xlPinYin
      .Apply
  End With

CellText = Cel.Value
        If Mid(" " & CellText & " ", X, Len(C) + 2) Like "[!0-9A-Za-z]" & C & "[!0-9A-Za-z]" Then
        End If
      Next
    Next
  Next

ActiveSheet.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("F1:F" & LastRow), _
      SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
  With ActiveSheet.Sort
      .Header = xlNo
      .MatchCase = False
      .SortMethod = xlPinYin
      .Apply
  End With
  Columns("F:H").Delete

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

This code seems to work but the problem is it took 1 hour 20 minutes to process! (and I have a very fast computer). It also broke my internet connection while it was running (could be a coincidence but the network went down when I started it and only returned after it ended). Just for reference I have a bout a 1000 rows in column D and E and the bit of text where the replacing is occuring in A1 is about 500 words paragraph. For reference, the last macro (v3) you gave use to run in about 15-30 seconds.

Upvote 0
If cut the number of rows from 2000 to 1000, the time is also halved. Seems there is a limit to how big of a file you can work with using this code. Is there anything that can be done or I have to just suck it up and wait one hour everytime I want to run this macro?

(internet problem I mentioned above wasn't related)

Upvote 0
Thank your very much Rick

I have a doubt in this code:

Sometimes the macro replaces strings of letters that are only a part of a word. for example if I want the macro to replace the word 'ice' with 'cold', if it sees a word like 'nice' it will replaced it to 'ncold'. This error didn't show up in small tests, but now that I have hundreds of words being replaced in same go, excel seems to screw up for some reason.

Upvote 0
Thank your very much Rick

I have a doubt in this code:

Sometimes the macro replaces strings of letters that are only a part of a word. for example if I want the macro to replace the word 'ice' with 'cold', if it sees a word like 'nice' it will replaced it to 'ncold'. This error didn't show up in small tests, but now that I have hundreds of words being replaced in same go, excel seems to screw up for some reason.
Which of my posted codes did you use? The modified code I posted in Message #23 is supposed to take care of that problem.

Upvote 0
Yes Rick... its working well in excel.

I am sorry to bothered you

Actually I want to replace in word document from excel list.
Column A contains wrongs words (to be find words), column B contains right words (to be replaced words)
I want to find column A values in active word document. I have created an object and connected Excel application and succeed in find and replace, but i was stuck up at finding of whole words

can you please explain this part of code and suggest anything which will give us a progress

CellText = Cel.Value
End If
Next
Next
Next

Upvote 0
Hello Rick.
I would like to use the macro in this post (#23) to find whole words from a list (as you wrote it), but rather than replace the word, simply change the color of the word. I tried using the same word in both columns of the find/replace table (columns D and E, I believe) with the second column in the desired color, but the color of the replacement is not preserved. I was wondering if the macro lends itself to a simple tweek that accomplishes this? I am not asking you to devote any substantial time to this question.

Regards,

Alan (also in N.J.)

Upvote 0
Hello Rick.
I would like to use the macro in this post (#23) to find whole words from a list (as you wrote it), but rather than replace the word, simply change the color of the word. I tried using the same word in both columns of the find/replace table (columns D and E, I believe) with the second column in the desired color, but the color of the replacement is not preserved. I was wondering if the macro lends itself to a simple tweek that accomplishes this? I am not asking you to devote any substantial time to this question.
It will take different code, but that should not be too hard to write, but you need to tell us about your set up...

Where is the text you want the words highlighted in located at?

Where is the word list you want to process located at?

Will all the located words be the same color? If so, what color?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patupaiarehe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back