VBA Find & Replace Not Finding

reberryjr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a source file that contains some data in column W. This data is formatted as General and structured like 12345-ABC_6789. Each of the 3 segments is dynamic in length and content. I'm trying to replace the - and _ with a comma, so that I can do text to columns, but Excel is saying it can't find a - or _; even if I try it manually. They are clearly present and the sheet is not protected, so I'm at a loss.

VBA Code:
Sub ImportRetData()

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim m As Workbook, s As Workbook
Dim mD As Worksheet, sD As Worksheet
Dim fP As String, fN As String, fE As String
Dim MaxDt As Date
Dim mDLR As Long, mNLR As Long, sDLR As Long

Set m = ThisWorkbook
Set mD = m.Sheets("New Data")

mDLR = mD.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

fP = "C:\Users\Import Files\"
fN = "RetResults"
fN = Dir(fP & fN & "*.xlsx")

Set s = Workbooks.Open(fP & fN)
Set sD = s.Sheets("Data")

sDLR = sD.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

sD.Activate

'Removes filters from the working data if any exist.
If sD.AutoFilterMode Then sD.AutoFilterMode = False

'Unhides any columns and rows that may be hidden on the working data.
With sD.UsedRange
    .Columns.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    .Rows.EntireRow.Hidden = False
End With

sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR).Replace What:="_", Replacement:=",", MatchCase:=False
sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR).Replace What:="-", Replacement:=",", MatchCase:=False

With sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR)
    .TextToColumns Destination:=sD.Range("W2"), DataType:=xlDelimited, Comma:=True, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 9), Array(2, 2), Array(3, 9)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
End With

s.Close SaveChanges:=False

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

Did you uncheck "Match entire cell content" in the Replace dialog box?
Good point. You probably want to explicitly tell it what to do in your code, so it doesn't just inherit whatever current settings you have, i.e.
Rich (BB code):
sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR).Replace What:="_", Replacement:=",", LookAt:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False
sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR).Replace What:="-", Replacement:=",", LookAt:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Did you uncheck "Match entire cell content" in the Replace dialog box?
UGH! I never checked it (at least not intentionally). I added the LookAt in this snippet, and it's working now.
VBA Code:
sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR).Replace What:="_", Replacement:=",", MatchCase:=False, LookAt:=xlPart
sD.Range("W2:W" & sDLR).Replace What:="-", Replacement:=",", MatchCase:=False, LookAt:=xlPart

Upvote 0
Excellent!
Glad to hear it.

Upvote 0
UGH! I never checked it (at least not intentionally). I added the LookAt in this snippet, and it's working now.
You should mark post #11 as the solution because @Joe4 provided the solution in that post.

Upvote 0
I want to add something:
When using the Find or Replace method, it's a good practice to set all relevant parameters as needed, otherwise it uses the last/existing settings. Please refer to this discussion for a better understanding:

Upvote 0
I want to add something:
When using the Find or Replace method, it's a good practice to set all relevant parameters as needed, otherwise it uses the last/existing settings. Please refer to this discussion for a better understanding:
So, kind of like setting the last row. Even if you add records, the last row doesn't change unless you reset it. Correct?

Upvote 0
So, kind of like setting the last row. Even if you add records, the last row doesn't change unless you reset it. Correct?
No, not quite the same thing.

One is talking about processes (like "Find and Replace") filling in/inheriting default settings for settings you do not declare explicitly in the VBA code.

The other is talking about the values of variables you create. Excel doesn't correlate your variables with the "last row". You can name it anything you want (i.e. "x" or whatever).
You are calculating and setting some variable at some point in time. The value of variable is a value, not a "dynamic method", and doesn't change as data changes, unless you re-run it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back