[VBA/Formula] Countifs where Criteria is one of comma separated value in cell?

RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Let's say I have a column which can have any single letter or number, and then I want to countif where all characters are "1, 2, 4" or "E, F" or "L, U, V, K"

How can I do this? The cell with the criteria in is in column A and the range is in sheet "LYTemp" range "W2:W & Lastrow"

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Do you mean something like that?

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(FIND($E$1:$E$14,A1)))

1578670243200.png

Upvote 0
Do you mean something like that?

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(FIND($E$1:$E$14,A1)))

View attachment 3692
I uhm... Well I er... Well.. That's great. I was like elbow deep in a stupid macro to do this and getting nowhere, that's exactly it.

So if it doesn't match 1, 2, 4, E, F or "", how can I count that?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hah I know this feeling :) Glad it worked!

Do you mean that you would like to display zero in case none of the characters / values match? The formula should already do that for you - see "X, Y, Z":

1578670842687.png

Upvote 0
I mean I'd like it to count anything that isn't in the given arrays, that isn't a blank.

I can't put a chain of characters that can be "other", there's too many, so is there a way to say "If it's not the above, and if it's not blank, then count"?

Oh, also, can this logic be applied to sum a range? Would be very useful, thank you!

Upvote 0
Here's my sum logic:

VBA Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(--ISNUMBER(FIND(LYTemp!$W2:$W4648,A3))),LYTemp!$P$2:$P$4648)

Seems to be working.

Nevermind. One criteria was right, all the others were wrong...

DOUBLE NEVERMIND.

I had the formula wrong - note I haven't locked off two of the values.

Upvote 0
Did you manage to solve it? :) or do you still need help?

Edit - if you want to count how many of your characters did NOT appear in your list, you can use the following Array formula (assuming you have access to TEXTJOIN function):

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISERROR(FIND(TRANSPOSE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A4,", ",""),ROW($A$1:INDEX($A:$A,LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A4,", ","")))),1)),TEXTJOIN("",,$E$1:$E$14))))
Enter it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Using my previous screenshot as an example, the first row will return 1 ("2" is not available), row 2 will show 0 (both E and F are available), row 3 will show 3 (X, Y, Z are not found) and, finally, row 4 will show 1 (only "X" is not found) -

1578672708984.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately we're on 2010, but I've just gone the lazy way out and took the time to list all the alpha-numeric characters we aren't using, hey, your original suggestion was the best way.

Thanks for the help! I got the sum working with a bit of jiggery-pokery :)

Upvote 0
Awesome, glad you solved it :) take care & have a great weekend

Upvote 0
Did you manage to solve it? :) or do you still need help?

Edit - if you want to count how many of your characters did NOT appear in your list, you can use the following Array formula (assuming you have access to TEXTJOIN function):

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISERROR(FIND(TRANSPOSE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A4,", ",""),ROW($A$1:INDEX($A:$A,LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A4,", ","")))),1)),TEXTJOIN("",,$E$1:$E$14))))
Enter it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Using my previous screenshot as an example, the first row will return 1 ("2" is not available), row 2 will show 0 (both E and F are available), row 3 will show 3 (X, Y, Z are not found) and, finally, row 4 will show 1 (only "X" is not found) -

Hold up,

If this is my formula to sum up column J of "Booking Database":

VBA Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(--ISNUMBER(FIND('[Regional Press Reporting 2019.xlsm]Booking Database'!$AD$2:$AD$14794,A3))),'[Regional Press Reporting 2019.xlsm]Booking Database'!$J$2:$J$14794)

How do I add another criteria on to it? I have dates in column U in format "dd/mm/yyyy" and I want to add two criteria on my sumproduct that looks for dates between serial 43466 and 43496

Is this possible? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back