VBA If Statement Loop Not Working

cfadr

Hi,

I am trying to loop through some data and apply tests to it (i.e. if values are above/below certain input thresholds then paste a 1 or 0 into another part of the workbook). Unfortunately my code below doesn't appear to be working but I'm not getting anywhere debugging - can anyone please help/suggest where I have gone wrong?

Thanks

VBA Code:
Sub flag_analysis()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim data_set As Variant
data_set = Sheets("Data").Range("A5:F20").Value
Dim i As Long, flag_activation As Long

flag1_level = Sheets("Inputs").Range("D3")   'this is my first test - an input with the threshold level (set to 40)
flag1_level = Sheets("Inputs").Range("D4")   'this is the second test - an input which is a percentagee e.g. 10%

For i = 1 To UBound(data_set, 1)
flag1 = data_set(i, 5) 'this is the data I am applying my first test to
flag2 = data_set(i, 6) ' this is the data I am applying my second test to
    If (IsNumeric(flag1) And flag1 >= flag1_level) Or (IsNumeric(flag2) And flag2 >= flag2_level) Then 'if the data is numeric (to avoid any cells with errors in them) and if either the first or the second test is satisfied then...
    flag_activation = 1 'set the flag equal to 1 (I am not using booleans because I want to add the number of flags later)
    Else: flag_activation = 0 'else set the flag equal to zero
    Sheets("Flags").Range("E" & i + 4) = flag_activation 'copy the flag value into the sheet Flags
    End If

flag_activation = 0  'reset the flag at zero for the next loop

Next i

End Sub

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Looks like flag2_level is not defined (two variables with flag1_level are defined instead):

VBA Code:
flag1_level = Sheets("Inputs").Range("D3")   'this is my first test - an input with the threshold level (set to 40)
flag1_level = Sheets("Inputs").Range("D4")   'this is the second test - an input which is a percentagee e.g. 10%

Upvote 0
Sorry that was a typo before I sent; you are correct but it's not working anyway even with that rectified.

Here is the data I am testing against values of 40 (flag 1 level) and 20% (flag 2 level) -

42​
10%​
38​
15%​
0​
23%​
4​
11%​
50​
12%​

And I am just getting zeros and gaps in the output (on the Flags sheet) -

0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​

Thanks

Upvote 0
Replace all of your code with this and try:
Code:
Sub Flag_Analysis1()

With Sheets("Flags").Cells(5, 5).Resize(16)
        .Formula = "=--(OR(AND(ISNUMBER(Data!E5),Inputs!$D$3>=Data!$E5),AND(ISNUMBER(Data!F5),Inputs!$D$4>=Data!$F5)))"
        .Value = .Value
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks that worked. Just to clarify something - I had deliberately avoided using .Formula as you did because I need to run the code on a lot of data (thousands of rows) and I thought using this would slow it down? the whole reason I am using VBA is I had a workbook with a lot of if statements that became unusable.

Thanks

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

About to head out, if the code is slow, can suggest something closer to your approach when I'm back.

Upvote 0
The IF-End If turns out to be wrong I think - the output to the flags sheet is only occurring in the Else part. See below for a fix:

VBA Code:
    flag1 = data_set(i, 5) 'this is the data I am applying my first test to
    flag2 = data_set(i, 6) ' this is the data I am applying my second test to

If (IsNumeric(flag1) And flag1 >= flag1_level) Or (IsNumeric(flag2) And flag2 >= flag2_level) Then 'if the data is numeric (to avoid any cells with errors in them) and if either the first or the second test is satisfied then...
        flag_activation = 1 'set the flag equal to 1 (I am not using booleans because I want to add the number of flags later)
    Else
        flag_activation = 0 'else set the flag equal to zero
    End If
    Sheets("Flags").Range("E" & i + 4) = flag_activation 'copy the flag value into the sheet Flags

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back