VBA in Excel and sharing marco as Ribbon-add-on with coworkers

jmemn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have downloaded a few files from the internet that have VBA that is perfect. I love these modules, and I just opened the source workbook I downloaded and copied them to my custom ribbon. BAD IDEA. Now every time I click a button, the file I downloaded to my download folder and copied the VBA module opens up no matter what workbook I am in. I can still use the formula in my workbooks but I hate having this extra file from the internet open up. THere's stuff online on adding the macros to my personal workbook. I did that and it doesn't pop up, but now I can't figure out how to create a menu bar on the ribbon and send these macros to coworkers.

What do I do next to send my custom ribbon to coworkers or how do I create one that I can send?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
From what explain, I wonder if perhaps the best option would be to convert your workbook containing the code (XLSM file) to an add-in (XLAM). By doing this you, you will each be able to install the add-in on to your respective computer systems. I did a search on the forum, and in a similar post, the person was recommended to check out the How-To-For-Dummies site. I checked it out, and I think it will help you create the add-in.

The next step is to create the ribbon - that's the other benefit of the Add-In approach, you can embed the ribbon settings into the XLAM file that you circulate. There are a few options, but I would suggest checking out Ron De Bruins site on how to create a ribbon (link) - he has a number of samples files on his site that you can learn from, but also he gives a step-by-step tutorial on how to do it with free, open source software. Alternatively, Spreadsheet Guru has created a handy template (link) that makes it very easy to just copy and paste your own details into the code without having to delve into the XML ribbon 'coding' side of things.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back