VBA INSTR or FIND?

Trebor8484

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, Can anyone assist with this please.

I am trying to test cells for the below conditions, but I need to find instances where the word VBA or TEST appears in a cell rather than just the string itself, so for example the word TESTING currently shows.

Not sure if I need to use find rather than instr.

VBA Code:
For Each c In SrcSheet.Range("H2:H" & SrcSheet.Cells(Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)

If InStr(1, c.Value, "LESSON", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then

If InStr(1, c.Value, "VBA", vbTextCompare) > 0 And InStr(1, c.Value, "TEST", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then

'Debug.Print c.Value

If rng Is Nothing Then

Set rng = c

Else

Set rng = Union(rng, c)

End If

End If

End If

Next c

Thanks

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I don't know that either will help you here, and neither will the SEARCH function. Most of the solutions online that I've found appear to be predicated on the assumption that there will be a space or some form of punctuation after the given word, but I'm guessing that this will not always be the case (if at all). Is it the case that these words/conditions that you're checking for are not the only word in the cell? If they are, then the solution is pretty simple, but if they're not (and I suspect that they're not) then I actually think that maybe regular expressions might be your best bet.

This page is generally useful, but specifically, the regular expression function coded by Ron Rosenfield here will likely do what you need. In your code above, you would use his code as follows:

VBA Code:
If reFindWord(c.Value, "LESSON") Then

Alternatively, if a regular expression is overkill (which is possibly the case), then the following might work (and is perhaps marginally faster), but it may not work with your data. For example, it will return a TRUE value if the word is at the end of a string, if it is in the middle of a string (and then following by a space character and then whatever else), or if there is one other character after it. This third element was added to allow for the possibility of punctuation. So a search for "test" in the following:
  • Is this a test? TRUE
  • THIS IS A TEST TRUE
  • I have a test tomorrow. TRUE
  • You're testing my patience FALSE
  • I heard that there will be a test!? FALSE
Note that I've made the code case insensitive.

VBA Code:
Function ContainExactWord(ByVal strSource As String, ByVal strWord As String) As Boolean
strSource = LCase(strSource)
strWord = LCase(strWord)
strPattern = "*" & strWord
If strSource Like strPattern Or strSource Like strPattern & " *" Or strSource Like strPattern & "?" Then ContainExactWord = True
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry - I just realised that my function may not work in certain circumstances (namely, where the target word is at the end of another word). I think I've completely overengineered this, and there is doubtless a much simpler solution to your question, but hey ho, here we go. The following is marginally better than my earlier version:

VBA Code:
Function ContainExactWord(ByVal strSource As String, ByVal strWord As String) As Boolean
    strSource = LCase(strSource)
    strWord = LCase(strWord)

If strSource Like strWord _
    Or strSource Like strWord & " *" _
    Or strSource Like strWord & "?" _
    Or strSource Like "* " & strWord _
    Or strSource Like "* " & strWord & " *" _
    Or strSource Like "* " & strWord & "?" _
    Then ContainExactWord = True
End Function

Upvote 0
I believe this function should work correctly...
VBA Code:
Function ContainExactWord(Text As String, Word As String) As Boolean
  ContainExactWord = " " & UCase(Text) & " " Like "*[!A-Z]" & UCase(Word) & "[!A-Z]*"
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As always, a more elegant and simpler approach. Thank you, Rick.

Upvote 0
Thanks both.

Both solutions work for my specific needs but I went with the one liner.

I spent ages looking for a inbuilt VBA function to accomplish this but didn’t residency I would need a custom function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back