VBA/Macro to delete 1 row above referenced row

keef2

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I have a relatively simple task but my attempts have not been sucsessful. Can anyone please help with the following:

I have a worksheet that I basically want to delete 1 row above the referenced rows. So "AZ1"& "AZ4" are the 2 cells that i use as a dummy to identify the last row of particular tables.

Essentially what I would like to do is if the user clicks the button delete row it will delete 1 row above AZ1 & AZ4. I did write a code to insert rows by referencing these 2 cells here but cannot figure out best way to delete 1 row above these references. Any help is much appreciated as always:

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Use .offset(-1,0) and remember to delete rows from the bottom to the top.

Code:
bot_row = act.Range("AZ1")
top_row = act.Range("AZ4")
range("A"&bot_row).offset(-1,0).entirerow.delete
range("A"&top_row).offset(-1,0).entirerow.delete

or similar

Upvote 0

Code:

or similar
Thank you however, i may not have described the best. AZ1 and AZ4 are both my dummy cells that reference the current bottom of row for my data sets (in this case Row 16 is AZ1 and Row 41 is AZ4 but they change depending on how many rows the user inserts. I was hoping to click a "delete bot row button" to delete the row above my helper rows which are in grey. Hope this makes more sense.
1661361534134.png

Upvote 0
OK. If AZ1 and AZ4 were solely there to determine the rows to delete, you wouldn't need those cells. Instead, you can use .end(xldown) to determine the last row in a block of cells.

Below, I used .Find to determine the block of cells for the Sale Year Total row (currently C27, but that could move as rows are added), and I assumed the Monthly Sales always started in row 4.

Code:
Sub DeleteRows()
Dim lngLastMonthlyRow As Long
Dim lngLastSaleYearRow As Long
Dim res

lngLastMonthlyRow = Range("C4").End(xlDown).Row
lngLastSaleYearRow = Range("C:C").Find("Sale Year Total").End(xlDown).Offset(-1, 0).Row

res = MsgBox("Delete the rows for " & Cells(lngLastSaleYearRow, 3) & "?", vbYesNo)

If res = vbYes Then
Cells(lngLastSaleYearRow - 1, 1).EntireRow.Delete
Cells(lngLastMonthlyRow - 1, 1).EntireRow.Delete
End If

End Sub

I imagine you'd do something similar for adding rows via your other button...

Upvote 0

Code:

or similar
So I have this working based on this code. However, my simple formula in C:13 shows as #Ref! after i run the delete function. This formula is simply the cell above +1 and will never change. How do I make sure to keep this formula after deleting rows. Lastly, is there away to make sure users cannot delete up to the current year? Sorry for the loaded questions. I am just learning this VBA stuff and there is a lot to it. Thanks!

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C12C12=C11+1
D12:O12D12=IFERROR(LET(f,SUM(FILTER(MASTER!$G11:$G10008,(MONTH(MASTER!$E11:$E10008)=D$2)*(YEAR(MASTER!$E11:$E10008)=$C12),"")),IF(f="","",f)),"")
P12:P13P12=IF(SUM(D12:O12)=0,"",SUM(D12:O12))
Q12:Q13Q12=C12
C13C13=#REF!+1
D13:O13D13=IFERROR(LET(f,SUM(FILTER(MASTER!$G14:$G10011,(MONTH(MASTER!$E14:$E10011)=D$2)*(YEAR(MASTER!$E14:$E10011)=$C13),"")),IF(f="","",f)),"")

Upvote 0
For C13's formula, instead of:
Code:
=C12

use

Code:
=INDIRECT("C"&ROW()-1)

By using INDIRECT, it won't matter if the row above it is deleted, as it will always reference the row immediately above it.

As far as checking if they're deleting up to the current year, you could use something like:

Code:
If cells(lngLastMonthlyRow,"C") <= year(date) then
  msgbox "Can only delete rows for future years", vbokonly
End
End If

lngLastSaleYearRow = Range("C:C").Find("Sale Year Total").End(xlDown).Offset(-1, 0).Row

...(rest of code)

Upvote 0
Solution
For C13's formula, instead of:
Code:
=C12

use

Code:
=INDIRECT("C"&ROW()-1)

By using INDIRECT, it won't matter if the row above it is deleted, as it will always reference the row immediately above it.

As far as checking if they're deleting up to the current year, you could use something like:

Code:
If cells(lngLastMonthlyRow,"C") <= year(date) then
  msgbox "Can only delete rows for future years", vbokonly
End
End If

...(rest of code)
This is exactly what I was hoping for thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back