Keep Referenced Cell in a Different Workbook, Even If The Data In The Cell Changes

AcornNut

Board Regular
Hello,
I'm stumped over something I'm sure is easy. I have 2 separate workbooks, and cell A1 in workbook A currently references the value in A5 in workbook B. Sometimes rows in workbook B get added or deleted, which changes the data. For example, if "apples" are in workbook B in A5, and a row gets added above it, then "apples" will move to A6. What happens then is the formula in A1 in workbook A automatically changes to A6 in workbook B. I need it to continue to reference A5 in workbook B and not "follow the apples".

The formula I've used in A1 in workbook A is: ='[Workbook_B_FileName.xlsx]Tab_Name'!$A$5"
I've tried it absolute, relative, and mixed references and get the same result each time. When adding or removing rows, A5 changes to A6 or A4 (following the apple). I need it to always refer to A5 regardless of what happens to the referenced cell data.

Again, I'm sure it's super easy/basic, but I'm drawing a blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
You could try this:
=OFFSET([Book4]Sheet1!$A$1,4,0)

The problem still remains if you insert a row above Row 1 in WB B then it will reference 4 rows below Cell A2

Upvote 0
You can use INDIRECT to get around the cell changing.

=INDIRECT("'"&"[Workbook_B_FileName.xlsx]Tab_Name"&"'!"&"A5")

Only while workbook B is open though.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back