VBA - Need help with a concept - creating an array

Chris The Rock

In my code, I'm looping through a range of cells that's one row deep and 10 columns wide. The possible values in the cells are "Y" and "N".

What I want to do is create an array whose results are the column numbers of the cells in that range whose values are "Y".

For example, Values Y, N, Y, Y, N, N, N, N, Y, Y would yield the results: (1,3,4,9,10)

I'm having a tough time figuring out where to start. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Norie - the "Option Base 1" issue would cause a problem with the first "Y" encountered, since at that point I = 0 so we are trying to access the 0th entry in a 1-based array.

Chris - the arr(I) value will report a subscript out of range becasue arr() was just redimmed to arr(I), and then I was incremented by one (ready for the next turn through the loop when a "Y" is encountered). This is nt an issue, though, except when you are trying to test the values when stepping through the code. If you never encounter another "Y" in the data range, then the new I value will be ignored; if you do then arr() will be redimmed to the new I value (ie - the old Ubound of the array, plus 1) and the coresponding column value will be saved in the Ith position in the array.

The array itself will be returned (if the sub is accessed as a function) or will be created and available to a subsequent process - in any event this portion of the routine will always end with "I" equal to the "Ubound of arr() + 1" - but presumably you are not using "I" to access the values in the array.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Norie - the "Option Base 1" issue would cause a problem with the first "Y" encountered, since at that point I = 0 so we are trying to access the 0th entry in a 1-based array.

Chris - the arr(I) value will report a subscript out of range becasue arr() was just redimmed to arr(I), and then I was incremented by one (ready for the next turn through the loop when a "Y" is encountered). This is nt an issue, though, except when you are trying to test the values when stepping through the code. If you never encounter another "Y" in the data range, then the new I value will be ignored; if you do then arr() will be redimmed to the new I value (ie - the old Ubound of the array, plus 1) and the coresponding column value will be saved in the Ith position in the array.

The array itself will be returned (if the sub is accessed as a function) or will be created and available to a subsequent process - in any event this portion of the routine will always end with "I" equal to the "Ubound of arr() + 1" - but presumably you are not using "I" to access the values in the array.

Perfect explanation, thanks. I was just starting to figure this out, and this cleared everything up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tanne

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back