[VBA] "Pick" a Worksheet Tab and save it to a variable

PeteWright

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hi all,
I've been deeply searching for this, but couldn't find an answer anywhere.
There is like a gazillion of topics, but none of the posted codes work for me.

So what I need is a user input (like prompt or something - or just a Mouse Pointer) to "pick" a Worksheet Tab from the bottom tabs and save it's reference to a variable.

The only thing that comes close which I found is the Application.InputBox "object" which unfortunately doesn't seem to handle all possible user inputs but a few (e.g. String, Boolean, Range) and can't cope with a selected tab.

This is one of my many code snippets which only gives me the error "Excel found a problem with one or more Formula References in this worksheet."
VBA Code:
Sub Zero()
   Debug.Print Application.InputBox("Select a Worksheet Tab", "Select Tab", , , , , , 8)
End Sub

Any ideas on this?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
How about something like this...

VBA Code:
Sub Zero()

Dim userRange As Range
    Dim userSheet As Worksheet

On Error Resume Next
    Set userRange = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Click on a cell to select a worksheet", Title:="Select Worksheet", Type:=8)
    If userRange Is Nothing Then
        Exit Sub
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0

Set userSheet = userRange.Parent

MsgBox "User selected worksheet:  " & userSheet.Name

End Sub

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Solution
How about something like this...

VBA Code:
Sub Zero()

Dim userRange As Range
    Dim userSheet As Worksheet

On Error Resume Next
    Set userRange = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Click on a cell to select a worksheet", Title:="Select Worksheet", Type:=8)
        Exit Sub
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0

Set userSheet = userRange.Parent

MsgBox "User selected worksheet:  " & userSheet.Name

End Sub

Hope this helps!

@Domenic that works!
I have already seen and tried this method, but thought of selecting a tab rather then a cell.

It's only a personal thing, but I'd like to have the user select a tab (only click on a tab) not a cell which requires two steps (click on tab, click into cell).
Is this possible too?

Upvote 0
Maybe one possibility might be to use the SheetActivate event handler. When clicking on a tab, the sheet would be activated, and the SheetActivate event handler would be triggered. Then it could assign the sheet to a variable. The code would be placed in the code module for ThisWorkbook...

VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object)
    MsgBox Sh.Name
End Sub

Note, however, clicking on a tab whose sheet is already activated would not trigger the event. But adding a new worksheet to your workbook would trigger it.

Upvote 0
Actually, have you considered using a UserForm instead? The UserForm would contain a ListBox where the sheets would be listed, and the user would be prompted to select a sheet.

Upvote 0
Hi @Domenic
Unfortunately your code throws an error when I press the [Cancel] Button or [Esc] Button:
Run-time error '424': Object required

That's my biggest problem now. I don't want that error to be shown if I cancel or hit Escape.

Any ideas how to fix that?

EDIT:
Actually every code snippet I found somewhere on the web fails because Excel can't handle the error.
Phew, will be hard to find something that works :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which code are you referring to?

I'm referring to a slightly modified version of your code:
VBA Code:
Sub Zero()
    Dim userRange As Range
    On Error Resume Next
    Set userRange = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Click on a cell to select a range", Title:="Select Cell", Type:=8)
        Exit Sub
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    MsgBox "User selected Range:  " & userRange
End Sub

But any other code fails, because upon cancellation the error is thrown before it can be handled.

Upvote 0
Oh I see, okay. It looks like you have your error trapping set to break on all errors. Instead, set it so that it breaks only on unhandled errors...

VBA Code:
Visual Basic Editor >> Tools >> Options >> General >> Error Trapping >> click/select Break on Unhandled Errors >> OK

break.png

Now, when you press Cancel or Esc, it should simply exit the sub.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Yay! That does it! Many thanks!

One more question: If I set the error trapping to unhandled errors only, is this method "safe"?
Let's say I write some VBA code, set up the "Graphics" on my Workbook/Worksheet(s) and give the file to someone else who isn't familiar with VBA or even how to show the developer tab or open the VBA editor and therefore probably has error trapping set to brake on all errors...

This person will maybe get frustrated when errors show up.

So. How can I make my code fool-proof (if even possible in this specific case)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back