VBA problems with Dir function

Mark Tabet

Has anyone else had problems with the VBA Dir function?

I have some code which does the following from an open *unsaved* purchase order template:
1. reads in all the items in the PO
2. opens a shared Excel workbook, sitting on a shared (using workgroups) and containing a collection of thousands of product codes and notes
3. loops through the PO items and checks them against the database items and makes any changes or adjustments as necessary
4. re-formats the PO to fit into the company's style

The location of the shared database workbook was hard-wired in my code - and it worked fine. However we recently changed from the (slow) shared machine to a (fast) NAS Drive and the code stopped working obviously.

Now, I know I can simply hard-code the new location into the code and it will work fine. But I thought it would be better practice to actually check the file is in the expected location, and if not, to give the user a heads-up.

The code is (or should be) simple:

VBA Code:
Dim processingDataFile As String
processingDataFile = "L:\processing data.*"

If Dir(processingDataFile) = "" Then
   MsgBox ("Database not found. Please check it hasn't been moved or renamed.")
Else
   Workbooks.Open processingDataFile
End If

The problems are as follows:
If I don't save the purchase order (remember it's an unsaved template at this point), the code throws the error message.
If I do save the PO, the code works fine.
If I open the processingDataFile from the desktop, the code throws the error message.
If I open the processingDataFile from the same instance of Excel as the PO, the code works fine.
If I use one of the two successful methods above to run the code, and then create another PO, but don't save it first, the code works fine!

I am using Excel 365 and the version of the template doesn't seem to make a difference to the outcome. I have also tried using FSO, with no success either.

I know I have three work-arounds - hard-code, save first or open database first - but it should work and it's really bugging me that it isn't working. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I discovered many years ago that sometimes this returns an incorrect True value:
VBA Code:
So now I always use:
VBA Code:
If Dir(processingDataFile) = vbNullString Then
But you can't do Workbooks.Open processingDataFilebecause processingDataFile has a wildcard in it.

Upvote 0
I discovered many years ago that sometimes this returns an incorrect True value:
VBA Code:
So now I always use:
VBA Code:
But you can't do Workbooks.Open processingDataFilebecause processingDataFile has a wildcard in it.

John,

That's brilliant!

I'd already spotted the wildcard problem (although bizarrely, Excel seemed to know what I wanted!). But the
VBA Code:
vbNullString
substitution worked a treat!!!

Thank you very much!

Mark.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
So now I always use:
VBA Code:

I spoke too soon!

VBA Code:
    Dim processingDataFile As String

processingDataFile = "L:\processing data.xlsm"

MsgBox "Could not find the file " & processingDataFile & ". Please save the document and try again."
        Exit Sub
    End If

Doesn't work either

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back