VBA - Pushing/Pulling Updates to User Copies of Workbook

richh

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
I have a file that contains my working program. Every so often, a bug is found and fixed, or an update to areas of the code are made due to changing policies. Right now, my users obtain a copy of the file from SharePoint that I post and they must replace the old file with the new one. With some 100+ users of the program, it gets a bit old having to download a new version manually.

Is there a way to have Excel check to see if there is an update, or better - allow me to push my updates to their files without them having to handle it themselves?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Have you considered creating and using an add-in which you can edit as you need to. Your users would never know the difference or be bothered with those annoying downloads.

Upvote 0
Haven't thought of that yet! If you have any tips on how to go about doing that, I'd appreciate it because that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking to accomplish.

I was thinking along the lines of having the files perform a directory check of the SP file and look to see if there's a new update. If so, then it'd download the new fil000e and replace the old version with the new one. But if there's an easier way, I'd be interested!

Upvote 0
You wrote:
"Haven't thought of that yet! If you have any tips on how to go about doing that, I'd appreciate it because that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking to accomplish."

To answer your request, here's a video that explains the step-by-step process of creating an add-in. If your add-in would be in a shared drive folder that everyone including you can access, then to make a change, just edit the code yourself and that's that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowinx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back