VBA - Single cell with multiple text, search table and return all reports that match the single cell

rachel_excel

Hello,

My problem: Doing a lookup in a tables coloumn on a different tab from a single cell with multiple words in it, and returning the row if matches or close

I have 2 tabs "Reports" and "Data". Reports tab has a cell (F11) where multiple text is inserted from a user interface of check boxes. The cell can contain text such as: BlueCarPetrolFast or it contain BlueVanPetrolFast or YellowVanDiesalSlow or RedCarDiesalSlow or RedCar or CarFast etc (you get the picture, many options can be combined or excluded by the selection).
Below is a examples of some of the options the user can select (they all have a check box attached to them). As you can see the user can select a many or little as the like from each coloumn
Colour VehicleType Fuel Speed
Blue Car Petrol Fast
Yellow Van Diesel Slow
Red Mini
Pink

What I want to do is from a single cell (F11)-(checkbox selection displayed in this cell) on Reports tab: is to search a table on the "data" tab.
Below is a example of the data tab table

Search Category report title report abstract report link
BlueVanPetrol title1 abstract1 www.fvsv
BluePetrol title2 abstract2 www.divs
RedPetrol title3 abstract3 www.evsdd
RedCarFast title4 abstract4 www.vdssd

Using VBA I want to be able to search the data tabs “search Category” column for matching text.
e.g. Blue Petrol is in the “reports” tab cell F11….so I want all but the last row to be displayed.
e.g. BlueDiesal is in the cell F11 in the reports tab….none of the rows returned as they have blue But have petrol NOT diesel.
e.g. Red is in call F11 in reports tab…so the bottom 2 rows are returned.

Can anyone help me? Of think of a easier way to make this work….. would having the search criteria in separate cells help (but then there would be about 50 different combinations)

Any help or advice will be received with thanks x

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back