VBA Solution - POP UP/DATA VALIDATION

shemayisroel

Hi,

Sample data is below

What I'm trying to do is when a name is selected from a drop list (referring to sheet 1 in column A below) in sheet 2 say range A2:A20 if in column B of the below table has a YES in it then display a POP UP message with the contents in column C below...

If in column B has NO then do nothing...

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">1</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">NAMES</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">POP UP NOTE?</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">POP UP NOTE</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD>John</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>Go Home</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD>Peter</TD><TD>NO</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD>Rachael</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>On a Break</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>Noah</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>Try again later</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>Sarah</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>Almost there</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD>Isaac</TD><TD>NO</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD>Joshua</TD><TD>NO</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD>Gabriella</TD><TD>NO</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD>Jacoob</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>Got It</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

shemayisroel

BUMP - sorry just need this part of the solution and then I'm done

Thanks

Michael M

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi
How are you going to determine what activates the different comments.
Yes means yes, so what will trigger the different pop ups.

shemayisroel

Hi
How are you going to determine what activates the different comments.
Yes means yes, so what will trigger the different pop ups.
It's driven by the name in Column A

So a user will select a name in Sheet 2 in Column A then the POP UP will appear if the name has a YES next to it...

Does that make sense?

Michael M

Office Version
Platform
Windows
So, it needs a VLOOKUP to get the comment and then place it in VBA ??

Geez, that sounded simple, I'm guessing it's not gonna be.

shemayisroel

So, it needs a VLOOKUP to get the comment and then place it in VBA ??

Geez, that sounded simple, I'm guessing it's not gonna be.
That's correct, exactly what I wanted but it's a VLOOKUP only if Column B = Yes.

Doable?

Michael M

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Ok, so if you put your Lookup table in G1:H20 and then in C1 and copy down
Code:
=IF(B1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,G1:H20,2,FALSE))

shemayisroel

Ok, so if you put your Lookup table in G1:H20 and then in C1 and copy down
Code:
=IF(B1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,G1:H20,2,FALSE))
Thanks though I was not looking for a LOOKUP solution, the solution I was looking for was have the LOOKUP result in a POP UP window like when you use DATA VALIDATION it shows a warning message...

I'm pretty sure this will need to be a VBA solution not formula.

Sandeep Warrier

Board Regularmmmm Pizza
Probably something like this???

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Test()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> TableRng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> LR <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> LookupVal <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Sheets("Sheet1")<br>        LR = .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> TableRng = .Range("A1:C" & LR)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> LookupVal <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1:A20")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> WorksheetFunction<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> LCase(.VLookup(LookupVal.Value, TableRng, 2, 0)) = "yes" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                MsgBox .VLookup(LookupVal.Value, TableRng, 3, 0)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> LookupVal<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lip Renan

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...