VBA to Color a Single word (or Phrase) in a large population

seeja001

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello - I'm new to the message board and NOT a programer (but I do naively dabble in VBA a bit). My task is simple: I have many cells in a sheet (~ 1500 lines) that may contain a word AND I want to color the word (or phrase) so as to easily spot it visually when reviewing the sheet. Cell Content varies from 0 < x < 1200 characters. This can be don manually, but it's a real pain. I've used a few routines that when executed, color ALL text contained within the cell rather than isolating the single word of phrase. My latest version modified some example code using a class module approach, but throws compiler errors for the "With/End With" or "For Each" constructs upon execution. Would appreciate any help from the more seasoned folks if possible. Thanks.

Class Module:

Option Explicit
Private pPhrase As String

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
Worksheets("Sheet1").Select
End Sub

Private Sub Class_Terminate()
End Sub

Public Property Let Phrase(Value As String)
pPhrase = Value
End Property

Public Property Get Phrase() As String
Phrase = pPhrase
End Property

Normal Module:

Option Explicit

Sub UsingColorWordClass()
Dim w As ColorWord
Dim r As Range
Set w = New ColorWord
Set r = Range("ab3:ab1500")
w.Phrase = "HOUSE"

'With w
' .Font.Bold = True
' .Font.Color = vbRed
'End With

For Each w In r
w.Color = vbRed
Next

Debug.Print w.Phrase
Set w = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I believe that you are receiving the error because your ColorWord Class does not have Font properties.

Upvote 0
Thank for taking the time to review. It shows up in the object browser as a class, with members. As such, i thought i can just access it. All the examples I see just use it, looks so trivial. Would you have a fix with code statement and placement?

Upvote 0
I cannot edit the current code to give the results that you have explained that you want. But I do have a question; If a cell contains 900 characters, and you only highlight one word, how would you see it if the column width doesn't allow for the full length of the string? It seems like highlighting the entire cell would be the way to go for quick visual checking.

Upvote 0
Ah - well I'm working on a Mac and the Office 365 version here allows to wrap text considerably. Don't know the max allowable but it's > 256 characters. I've measured 1120 so far in a single cell. And with the appropriate width, I can view the entire cell - so a RED colored BOLD word or phrase will stand out immediately, whereas if the cell text is all red (or red interior), I'm compelled to read all the non-essential info - not what I'm after. I can manually search for the word, color it red and leave all else as is - so it will, word (but manually), again, not what I'm after. - Thanks for trying though. I have 3 routines that color ALL text red - but ..... / Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Must I do anything to keep this thread alive so others can still see it and possibly respond?

Upvote 0
Must I do anything to keep this thread alive so others can still see it and possibly respond?
The thread will stay alive until it has a Solution marked. Others will see it. In the meantime, I will keep working on a solution.

Upvote 0
What are your Workbook and Worksheet names?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back