VBA to copy data from multiple workbooks into master sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

excel_vba_1

Hello Everyone!

I have to copy data from 10+ workbooks and paste it into a master workbook.
All the workbooks are located in a folder on my desktop: C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1

All the workbooks contain a sheet named 'appendix B', I have to open each workbook, go to sheet 'appendix B’, select columns range C to F starting from row 6 to row ‘x'(the last row can vary in each workbook), cntrl+v (copy), and paste the data range into master worksheet. In the master worksheet, I paste the data in Columns A to D and continue pasting/appending the data as I copy data from more workbooks. Eventually, the master workbook has the data in columns A to D from every workbook in one sheet.

The columns range C to F and starting from row 6 always remains constant in all the sheets (appendix B ) of every workbook. Each workbook contains 7 sheets, but I am only interested in sheet ‘appendix B’

I have to repeat the same steps for 10-30 workbooks and continue pasting/appending the data into master sheet. So, I was wondering if someone could please help me to create a VBA code for this? I'm really new to VBA and would really appreciate your help!

Please let me know if you require any clarification.

Many thanks! =)

Please make one minor change to the code. Delete the "+1" in each of the three copy lines.

Hi Mumps,

I am getting an error on this line (" run time error "9": subscriipt out of range"):

.Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C6:F" & Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

Thank you once again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Give this a try. I tested it on some dummy workbooks and it worked properly.
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Const strPath As String = "C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("*.xls*")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            .Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C6:F" & .Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Sheets("Appendix C").Range("D6:Y" & .Sheets("Appendix C").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Sheets("Appendix D").Range("D5:I" & .Sheets("Appendix D").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Mumps,

I am getting an error on this line (" run time error "9": subscriipt out of range"):

.Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C6:F" & Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

Thank you once again!

Hi Mumps,

The code you sent me yesterday worked (spelling mismatch)!

But,

I noticed the code did not copy all the rows from some of the workbooks ( from all the 3 sheets).

Also, the masterwork copied rows that are not part of the range, for example:

• Appendix B should start from row 6, but row 1-5 were also copied
  • Appendix C should start from row 6, but row 1-5 were also copied
  • Appendix D should start from row 5, but row 1-4 were also copied

The only correct workbook copied was the first one, rest made the error metnioned above.

Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
Did you try the modified macro I suggested in Post# 12?

Hi Mumps,

I have tried the code from post #12 and its works fine, the only problem is when there is no data available to copy in a sheet, the code copies the row just above the given range (rather than just not copying anything).

Is it possible to fix this?

Thanks for your help, you are great!

Upvote 0
Hi Mumps,

I have tried the code from post #12 and its works fine, the only problem is when there is no data available to copy in a sheet, the code copies the row just above the given range (rather than just not copying anything).

Is it possible to fix this?

Also, i was wondering if it would be possible to have the workbook name added in an adjacent coloumn to the pasted data in Master1,Master2 and Master3?
For example, in coloumn E of Master1 sheet, it would it populated with the name of the workbook (so i know where the data is coming from).

I really, really appreciate your help!! This has made my life so much easier!=)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is much more compact than the other code I found to do the same thing. I have to copy data from three separate sheets from each of seven workbooks into three sheets of a master workbook.

During the Copy call, is it possible to copy only the data in each cell, not the formulas? I used named ranges to define a lot of formulas and the CopyRange macro runs with repeated warnings about the same name. If I can just copy the values, I'd be fine.

Thanks,

Uncle Josh
Portland OR

Upvote 0
Will the workbook name always be in column E of all three Master sheets? This would mean that all of the data in the source sheets is always in columns A to D. Is this correct?

@Uncle Josh: According to Forum rules, you should not post your question in another person's thread. Please start a new thread. If you send me a private message with a link to your thread, I'll be happy to have a look at it.

Upvote 0
After looking at the code again, I realized that the last unused columns in Master1, Master2 and Master3 will be columns B, Z and J respectively. The workbook name should therefore go in these columns. Try this macro:
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    ChDir strPath
        With wkbSource
            If .Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row < 6 Then
            Else
                .Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C6:F" & .Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Activate
                fRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Range("G" & Cells(Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(1, 0).Row
                lRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Range("G" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Row
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Range("G" & fRow & ":G" & lRow) = wkbSource.Name
            End If
            If .Sheets("Appendix C").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row < 6 Then
            Else
                .Sheets("Appendix C").Range("D6:Y" & .Sheets("Appendix C").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Activate
                fRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Range("Z" & Cells(Rows.Count, "Z").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(1, 0).Row
                lRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Range("Z" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Row
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Range("Z" & fRow & ":Z" & lRow) = wkbSource.Name
            End If
            If .Sheets("Appendix D").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row < 5 Then
            Else
                .Sheets("Appendix D").Range("D5:I" & .Sheets("Appendix D").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Activate
                fRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Range("J" & Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(1, 0).Row
                lRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Range("J" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Row
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Range("J" & fRow & ":J" & lRow) = wkbSource.Name
            End If
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
After looking at the code again, I realized that the last unused columns in Master1, Master2 and Master3 will be columns B, Z and J respectively. The workbook name should therefore go in these columns. Try this macro:
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    ChDir strPath
        With wkbSource
            If .Sheets("Appendix B").Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row < 6 Then
            Else
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Activate
                fRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Range("G" & Cells(Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(1, 0).Row
                lRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Range("G" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Row
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master1").Range("G" & fRow & ":G" & lRow) = wkbSource.Name
            End If
            If .Sheets("Appendix C").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row < 6 Then
            Else
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Activate
                fRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Range("Z" & Cells(Rows.Count, "Z").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(1, 0).Row
                lRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Range("Z" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Row
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master2").Range("Z" & fRow & ":Z" & lRow) = wkbSource.Name
            End If
            If .Sheets("Appendix D").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row < 5 Then
            Else
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Activate
                fRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Range("J" & Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(1, 0).Row
                lRow = wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Range("J" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Row
                wkbDest.Sheets("Master3").Range("J" & fRow & ":J" & lRow) = wkbSource.Name
            End If
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
End Sub

Hi Mumps,

You are simply amazing, thank you so much, the code works( with the workbook name added in the adjacent column)!!!

Thanks once again !! =D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back