VBA to copy data from multiple workbooks into master sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

excel_vba_1

Hello Everyone!

I have to copy data from 10+ workbooks and paste it into a master workbook.
All the workbooks are located in a folder on my desktop: C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1

All the workbooks contain a sheet named 'appendix B', I have to open each workbook, go to sheet 'appendix B’, select columns range C to F starting from row 6 to row ‘x'(the last row can vary in each workbook), cntrl+v (copy), and paste the data range into master worksheet. In the master worksheet, I paste the data in Columns A to D and continue pasting/appending the data as I copy data from more workbooks. Eventually, the master workbook has the data in columns A to D from every workbook in one sheet.

The columns range C to F and starting from row 6 always remains constant in all the sheets (appendix B ) of every workbook. Each workbook contains 7 sheets, but I am only interested in sheet ‘appendix B’

I have to repeat the same steps for 10-30 workbooks and continue pasting/appending the data into master sheet. So, I was wondering if someone could please help me to create a VBA code for this? I'm really new to VBA and would really appreciate your help!

Please let me know if you require any clarification.

Many thanks! =)

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Without seeing your file, it's hard to diagnose what the problem may be. Could you use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to post a screen shot (not a picture) of one or two of the "IVAT_Format" sheets. Alternately, you could upload a copy of one or two of the source files to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Hi mumps,
got it done eventually, sorry lot of work in the meantime. Is that below what you'd need?
Here is some overview:
test2.xlsx
QRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAHAIAJAKALAMANAOAPBABB
1TransactiondateInvoicedateDateOfSupplyDateOfReceiptInvoicenumberSupplierinvoicenumberVatcodeDescriptionSupplieridSuppliernameSuppliercountrySuppliervatnumberusedSuppliercountryvatnumberusedCustomercountryCustomercountryvatnumberusedTaxablebasisValuevatTotalvaluelineAmountvatdeductedExchange_RateTaxablebasiscurrency2Valuevatcurrency2Totalvaluelinecurrency2Amountvatdeductedcurrency2X_BusinessPartnerNamePartner VAT reg. No.X_Ship_from_countryX_Ship_to_country
2432567891PO-1BDWellcork IncXYXY12739718293XYMarsMars67.590.0067.590.00167.590.0067.590.00xyz ltdIX999999999
3432567892PO-2BDWellcork IncXYXY12739718293XYMarsMars865.330.00865.330.001865.330.00865.330.00xyz ltdIX999999999
4432567893PO-3BDWellcork IncXYXY12739718293XYMarsMars1103.220.001103.220.0011103.220.001103.220.00xyz ltdIX999999999
54325678940001/354367/XBDWellcork IncXYXY12739718293XYMarsMars1532.010.001532.010.0011532.010.001532.010.00aby gmbhIF123443434
6432567895PO-4BDWellcork IncXYXY12739718293XYMarsMars1905.150.001905.150.0011905.150.001905.150.00cdx LimitedID463241739284
743256789645345344BDWellcork IncXYXY12739718293XYMarsMars183.200.00183.200.000.882161.590.00161.590.00Xl ltdCZ3143743984
MOD_IVAT_FORMAT

As the columns are hidden it'd be good to unhide them. Got this bit below, but am not sure how It works to get it added to be honest:

For Each col In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns
If col.Hidden Then col.Hidden = False
Next

KR
Matthias

Upvote 0
The hidden columns are not showing. I think it would be easier to help if you could upload a copy of one or two of the source files to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here.

Upvote 0
I had an extra space in one of the lines. Try:
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "C:\Users\xbv\Desktop\group1\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("*.xls*")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets("appendix B").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets("appendix B").Range("C6:F" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("Master").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Hi mumps,
I have scabbed together a version of your code (from 2015, wow) and I don't know why it is looking for Book1.xlsx at the Set wkbSource line. I was testing source folder locally and it seemed to be working. So, I replaced the local path with the actual path, saved and restarted excel and it doesn't seem to be working now.

Can you advise?

I was hoping to run this as a function from Access.

VBA Code:
Sub IRMCARCHIVEMASTERLOOP()
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = Workbooks.Open("\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\99-DB_Source_Files\999-ARCHIVE_MASTER.xlsx")
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\999-Archive\"
    ChDir strPath
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets(1).Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets(1).Range("A2:S2" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("ARCHIVE_MASTER").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Sheets(1).Select
    Range("A2").Value = "1"
    Range("A3").Value = "2"
    Range("A4").Value = "3"
    Range("A2:A4").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("A2:A" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)

wkbDest.Close savechanges:=True

End Sub

Upvote 0
The code loops through all the files in your "999-Archive" folder. Book1.xlsx must be in that folder.

Upvote 0
If it is in there, I cannot find it. There are 261 files on that folder and they are all named similarly __###Z####-%.xlsx
I used the folder search function for "Book" and no matches were returned.
Could it be a hidden file?

Upvote 0
The code loops through all the files in your "999-Archive" folder. Book1.xlsx must be in that folder.

Okay, so after some trouble shooting, I have discovered that it is not looking for Book1 in the directory. Book1.xlsM (I mistook the M for an X) was the file I was running the macro from earlier.

I renamed Book1.xlsM to Macros.xlsm (this is how I realized the error before was saying it couldnt find Boo1.xlsM).

My goal is to create a macro independent of the master file. I want the macro to open my master file and then loop through a directory containing source files and copy/paste the data to the master.

At this point, I dont know why the macro is looking for its home file.

VBA Code:
Sub IRMCARCHIVEMASTERLOOP()
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = Workbooks.Open("\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\99-DB_Source_Files\999-ARCHIVE_MASTER.xlsx")
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\999-Archive\"
    ChDir strPath
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets("*Z*").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets("*Z*").Range("A2:S2" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("*MASTER").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Sheets(1).Select
    Range("A2").Value = "1"
    Range("A3").Value = "2"
    Range("A4").Value = "3"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("A2:A" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)

End Sub

Upvote 0
Awesome, I got all three working, I think.

I replaced the Dir("*.xls*") with Dir(source path). Does anyone see any potential issue with this version?

VBA Code:
Sub IRMCPREDECESSORMASTERLOOP()
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = Workbooks.Open("\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\99-DB_Source_Files\20-PREDECESSOR_MASTER.xlsx")
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\20-Predecessor\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\20-Predecessor\")
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets(1).Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets(1).Range("A2:S2" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("PREDECESSOR_MASTER").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Sheets(1).Select
    Range("A2").Value = "1"
    Range("A3").Value = "2"
    Range("A4").Value = "3"

End Sub

Upvote 0
This macro was very useful to me. It works seemlessly to copy about 500 lines of data from 15 workbooks. I noticed one issue though, as a few users have added formulae to their data, so I'd like to modify the VBA to copy > paste-values but can't seem to get the syntax right to do that. Can someone help?

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub IRMCPREDECESSORMASTERLOOP()
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = Workbooks.Open("\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\99-DB_Source_Files\20-PREDECESSOR_MASTER.xlsx")
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\20-Predecessor\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("\\nw\data\787FlexTrack\Data\Final-Body-Join\30-IRMC_Extractions\20-Predecessor\")
        With wkbSource
            .Sheets(1).Range("A2:S2" & LastRow).Copy
            wkbDest.Sheets("PREDECESSOR_MASTER").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Sheets(1).Select
    Range("A2").Value = "1"
    Range("A3").Value = "2"
    Range("A4").Value = "3"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
owais87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back