VBA to save all worksheets as separate .csv files - macOS

ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I have the following code, which saves / exports all worksheets within a single .xlsx file to separate .xlsx files in the same file path location:

Sub Splitbook()
'Updateby20140612
Dim xPath As String
xPath = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
For Each xWs In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
xWs.Copy
Application.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=xPath & Application.PathSeparator & xWs.Name & ".xlsx"
Application.ActiveWorkbook.Close False
Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Is there a way that I can amend this to work so that it saves the files in .csv format instead. I have tried a few things (see a related post here: VBA to save all worksheets as separate .xlsx files - macOS), but none have worked so far - despite working for the suggesting user on Windows OS.

Below is one of the suggestions, but despite working on Windows, it didn't work for my Mac. Guessing there must be a different file type part to make it work, rather than 'xlCSVUTF8'.

Sub Splitbook()
'Updateby20140612
Dim xPath As String
xWs.Copy
Application.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=xPath & Application.PathSeparator & xWs.Name, FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8
Next
End Sub

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
The file format "xlCSVUTF8" that you mentioned is specific to Windows and may not be compatible with Mac operating systems. On Mac, you can use the "FileFormat:=6" parameter to save the worksheets as CSV files. Here's the modified code that should work on Mac:

VBA Code:
Sub Splitbook()
    'Updateby20140612
    Dim xPath As String
        xWs.Copy
        Application.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=xPath & Application.PathSeparator & xWs.Name, FileFormat:=6
    Next
End Sub

This code will save each worksheet as a separate CSV file in the same file path location. The "FileFormat:=6" parameter specifies the CSV file format.

Upvote 0
The file format "xlCSVUTF8" that you mentioned is specific to Windows and may not be compatible with Mac operating systems. On Mac, you can use the "FileFormat:=6" parameter to save the worksheets as CSV files. Here's the modified code that should work on Mac:

VBA Code:
Sub Splitbook()
    'Updateby20140612
    Dim xPath As String
        xWs.Copy
        Application.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=xPath & Application.PathSeparator & xWs.Name, FileFormat:=6
    Next
End Sub

This code will save each worksheet as a separate CSV file in the same file path location. The "FileFormat:=6" parameter specifies the CSV file format.
Hi. Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't work for me, I get the following error:

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 08.14.04.png

In debugger it looks like this:
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 08.12.06.png

Upvote 0
The error you encountered in the Splitbook() macro occurs because the SaveAs method is being called on the Application.ActiveWorkbook object after it has been closed in the previous line. Once you close the workbook, you no longer have access to it.

To fix this issue, you can assign the copied workbook to a variable before saving it. Here's an updated version of the Splitbook() macro:

VBA Code:
Sub Splitbook()
    'Updateby20140612
    Dim xPath As String
    Dim xWs As Worksheet
    xPath = ThisWorkbook.Path ' Use ThisWorkbook instead of Application.ActiveWorkbook
    For Each xWs In ThisWorkbook.Sheets ' Use ThisWorkbook instead of ActiveWorkbook
        xWs.Copy
        Dim newWorkbook As Workbook
        Set newWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook ' Assign the copied workbook to a variable
        newWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=xPath & Application.PathSeparator & xWs.Name, FileFormat:=6
        newWorkbook.Close False
    Next
End Sub

In this updated code, the copied workbook is assigned to the newWorkbook variable, and then the SaveAs method is called on newWorkbook. This ensures that the workbook is still accessible for saving before closing it.

Make sure to replace the previous code with this updated version in your VBA module.

Upvote 0
The error you encountered in the Splitbook() macro occurs because the SaveAs method is being called on the Application.ActiveWorkbook object after it has been closed in the previous line. Once you close the workbook, you no longer have access to it.

To fix this issue, you can assign the copied workbook to a variable before saving it. Here's an updated version of the Splitbook() macro:

VBA Code:
Sub Splitbook()
    'Updateby20140612
    Dim xPath As String
    Dim xWs As Worksheet
    xPath = ThisWorkbook.Path ' Use ThisWorkbook instead of Application.ActiveWorkbook
    For Each xWs In ThisWorkbook.Sheets ' Use ThisWorkbook instead of ActiveWorkbook
        xWs.Copy
        Dim newWorkbook As Workbook
        Set newWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook ' Assign the copied workbook to a variable
        newWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=xPath & Application.PathSeparator & xWs.Name, FileFormat:=6
        newWorkbook.Close False
    Next
End Sub

In this updated code, the copied workbook is assigned to the newWorkbook variable, and then the SaveAs method is called on newWorkbook. This ensures that the workbook is still accessible for saving before closing it.

Make sure to replace the previous code with this updated version in your VBA module.
Hi, thanks for trying, but that still gives me an error. I get the following:
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 08.40.09.png
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 08.40.23.png

Upvote 0
Whsatever suggested solutions I try it always seems to be an issue with the SaveAs line of code. Is there special format required on mac? I have looked everywhere I can think of and can't find a solution. Any help appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back