VBA: Using SUMIF on column H when value in column A is unique

Yamezz

Office Version
  1. 2019
I have exported sales data to work with that has order numbers in Column A and shipping costs in column H. Unfortunately the export includes the same shipping value on all lines of the order, despite just the one shipping charge being applied per order. For example:
Shopify to Xero.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
1Order #PaidDateSKUQuantityPriceCurrencyShipping
2#1094TRUE6/12/20231VER21DOCLD25AUD22
3#1094TRUE6/12/20231CAS17DOCLD35AUD22
4#1097TRUE13/12/20231TEM18DOCLD30AUD22
5#1097TRUE14/12/20231SOT19DOCLD40AUD22
6#1098TRUE15/12/20232VER21DOCLD25AUD22
MrExcel

Both Order #1094 and #1097 were only charged a single value of $22 shipping each. How can I get a sum of all the actual shipping charges in this range? The correct answer is 2 x $22 = $44.

Is there a way to sum column H where column A is unique?

Hmm, I still get a Type Mismatch error.
The adapted code is now
VBA Code:
ShippingDiscount = Evaluate("=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(1/COUNTIF(A" & FirstInvRow & ":A" & LastInvRow & ",A" & FirstInvRow & ":A" & LastInvRow & "),0),(N" & FirstInvRow & ":N" & LastInvRow & "))")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
For this configuration, it works fine for me:
1703672903738.png

Upvote 0
Hmm, I still get a Type Mismatch error.
The adapted code is now
VBA Code:
ShippingDiscount = Evaluate("=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(1/COUNTIF(A" & FirstInvRow & ":A" & LastInvRow & ",A" & FirstInvRow & ":A" & LastInvRow & "),0),(N" & FirstInvRow & ":N" & LastInvRow & "))")
You need to show all your code.
You will get that error if either FirstInvRow or LastInvRow is zero.

Upvote 0
Flash, it certainly works when there are numbers to sum, so I get the same result as you for above. However, in the current case, the data is filtered to:

Capture.PNG

Both FirstInvRow and LastInvRow evaluate to 243.

If I understand correctly, the Type Mismatch error is because SUMPRODUCT is expecting to sum numbers, of which there are none in this particular case.
Perhaps I need some way of determining if there are numbers to sum, and if not, then set ShippingDiscount to zero.

Upvote 0
You did not mention until your last post that you needed it to work on filtered data. That changes things quite a bit.

Try replacing that one line with these lines which is a modification of @Flashbond's formula:

VBA Code:
    Dim sFormula As String

sFormula = "=SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(1/COUNTIF(A~1:A~2,A~1:A~2),0)*(N~1:N~2)*SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(A~1,ROW(A~1:A~2)-MIN(ROW(A~1:A~2)),0)))"
    sFormula = Replace(sFormula, "~1", FirstInvRow)
    sFormula = Replace(sFormula, "~2", LastInvRow)

ShippingDiscount = Evaluate(sFormula)

Upvote 0
You're right, Alex, I forgot to mention the filter.
I've done some testing on a few different scenarios and your code correctly evaluates all the scenarios I've tested. Thanks.
Out of interest, why the Replace method, rather than entering FirstInvRow in the formula directly? I've never come across Replace before.

Upvote 0
It is a fairly common practice although most people use a single symbol such as "@" as placeholders.
It is fairly tedious and high maintenance to convert the original Excel formula to use variables.

eg
Rich (BB code):
Excel formula: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<>"")*(N1:N10>10)*(B1:B10="Yes"))
To convert to a formula for use in evaluate, all you need to do is add a quote mark to the beginning and end and double any exising quotes
eg
Rich (BB code):
Evaluate("=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<>"""")*(N1:N10>10)*(B1:B10=""Yes""))")

However to replace the 1 with a variable for the firstrow and the 10 with a variable for the lastrow, we need to break that string up into many pieces
eg
Rich (BB code):
"=SUMPRODUCT((A" & firstrow & ":A" & lastrow &  .......... etc
This is tedious and error prone.
It is simpler to replace the 1's with the value of firstrow and the 10's with the value of lastrow. However to play it safe we don't use the actual row numbers because they may appear in other parts of the formula ie 1 is in 10 and there is also a criteria using 10 (">10"). So we use placeholders in those positions instead which are unlikely to be characters used in the formula. Most common seems to be "@", I have used ~1 and ~2, partly because I needed 2 placeholders and partly because I find it easier to spot.
Most people will nest the replace formulas, I have used multiple lines.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back