vlookup against 2 columns

codekrush

Hey i am wondering if you can use vlookup to validate criteria in either 1 of 2 columns.

IE:

Cell A1 has the serch critera i want to validate that this content is in either column B or D then return the value in column C if it is in EITER column B or D.

Is vlookup capable of doing this or will i have to use match with an aray?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

mgirvin

How about something like this:
Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1joejoesiouxksioux
2joesschin3
3joejoefredjoefred
Sheet1
Excel 2010
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1=IF(OR(A1=B1,A1=D1),C1,"")
F2=IF(OR(A2=B2,A2=D2),C2,"")
F3=IF(OR(A3=B3,A3=D3),C3,"")

mgirvin

Or:
Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1joejoesiouxksioux
2joesschin3Criteria not meet
3joejoefredjoefred
Sheet1
Excel 2010
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1=IF(OR(A1=B1,A1=D1),C1,"Criteria not meet")
F2=IF(OR(A2=B2,A2=D2),C2,"Criteria not meet")
F3=IF(OR(A3=B3,A3=D3),C3,"Criteria not meet")

codekrush

Looks like that will work, was hoping to shy away from the if statemant due to the fact that it will give me a rather long nested if's but thankyou for the help:cool:

mgirvin

Maybe I did not understand how your data is set up? If it is just checking A against B & D, then then IF formula should not need any more nested IFs. Let me know how the dat is set up.

codekrush

I was actually trying to assist a friend and didn't have a good hold on what they were lookin for; in the long run i came up with this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(H4),VLOOKUP($H4,Materials!$B$4:$D$19,3,FALSE),IF(ISTEXT(H4),VLOOKUP($H4,Materials!$C$4:$D$19,2,FALSE),0))

i isn't perfect for an exact match but that was not nessesary, it was easier to do this than explain and educate on match and arrays.. TY for your help... I love this board!

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daz457

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...