Vlookup against SQL database

savindrasingh

Board Regular
Hello Experts:

I am using MS Excel 2007 on Win Xp. I have an excel sheet which have list of servers in column A starting from cell address A2.

I have a database instance from which I need to lookup for the server contact person and application contact person email address for each server listed there.

Below are the details of database and table from which I have to get the information:

Servername: CRBPRODKESP\SISP03<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Authentication: Windows Authentication<o:p></o:p>
Database name: Runbook database
Table names: dbo_QRB_AppSupport (this is for Application contact person email address) and dbo_QRB_Customer (this is for Server contact person email address)<o:p></o:p>

Can any one please provide me with VBA code to extract this information.

Currently I have imported the tables to MS Access, created one input table and using below query to get this information and then copy and paste it to Excel.

Code:
SELECT InputServers.ServerName, dbo_QRB_Customer.EmailAddr, dbo_QRB_AppSupport.EmailAddr
FROM (InputServers INNER JOIN dbo_QRB_Customer ON InputServers.ServerName = dbo_QRB_Customer.ServerName) INNER JOIN dbo_QRB_AppSupport ON dbo_QRB_Customer.ServerName = dbo_QRB_AppSupport.ServerName;

I am after a code which I can run in Excel to find the Application and Server contact information from given Database/tables and fill the same next to the server name on the same sheet.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
The best site I know of for information on querying databases from Excel is here:
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?t=envbadac

Also valuable if using ADO as the means to connect to the database is the w3schools page on ADO:
http://www.w3schools.com/ado/default.asp

Using ADO it does not matter (more or less) whether the database is Access, SQL Server, or another database - the connection string is different depending on the database, but once the connection is open then the rest is very similar no matter what kind of database. Although if you have the information in Access already it may be best to work in Access (if possible).

Good luck - this isn't very complicated but then again its all a bit confusing when you first try.

Upvote 0
Hello All,

I got the clue from above links and had managed to write the required code. I am posting this code so that someone who need this will get benefited by this:

Code:
Sub Import()
Dim DBFullName, TableName As String
Dim TargetRange As Range
Dim Conn As ADODB.Connection, intColIndex As Integer

Set TargetRange = Range("A2")
    Set Conn = New ADODB.Connection

Conn.Open "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=Runbook;Data Source=[COLOR=black]CRBPRODKESP\SISP03[/COLOR]"
    Set RecSet = New Recordset

RecSet.Open "SELECT EmailAddr FROM Runbook.dbo.QRB_AppSupport WHERE ServerName='" & Range("A2").Value & "'", Conn, , , adCmdText
    TargetRange.Offset(0, 3).CopyFromRecordset RecSet

RecSet.Close
    Set RecSet = Nothing
    Conn.Close
    Set Conn = Nothing
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back