VLOOKUP conundrum!

norfox

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi.

I seem to have outsmarted myself by over-relying on VLOOKUP in a spreadsheet, and wonder if anyone can think of a way to help.

In essence, I have an Excel file with multiple sheets that contain information about teaching staff. For example one sheet has an entire year's timetable, another has marking allocations, another has tutorial allocations.
I have a main summary sheet with a dropdown list of the teaching staff and, depending on the staff member selected, the totals boxes on the summary sheet show the relevant totals for that individual. This I've done by linking the dropdown list selection on the summary sheet with cell A1 on each of the individual sheets, which then drives the VLOOKUP on those individual sheets accordingly (and feeds into the totals on the summary sheet, if that makes sense).

This works great, and I'm able to sit down with individual teachers and easily show them how their time is allocated.

What I can't do, though, is draw up a summary table of totals for all teachers. I've shot myself in the foot because the output can only ever relate to the individual selected in the dropdown list.
Yes, I can manually transpose the figures into a summary table for all teachers by going through each individual and noting their totals down, but I wondered if anyone could think more laterally than me and work out a fairly straightforward solution. Any help gratefully received, and apologies if that wasn't particularly clear.

That does make sense, what is happening is the workbook is not recalculating after the vba writes the teacher name into cell, so add a line in between
VBA Code:
Cells(25, 24) = listarr(i, 1)
     application.calculate
     outarr(indi, 1) = listarr(i, 1)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
That's perfect - amazing!
Thank you so much, you've been really kind.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back