Using formula to look up data where the data tab has the required data listed multiple times

NRogalska

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a list with unique references. I want to look up these references on another data sheet, where they might appear multiple times and with different result data. Using vlookup only returns the first instance of that reference being found and I need to know them all, or at least total of them all. Using Sumif or sumifs works IF the reference appears in BOTH sets of data.
I need something that will enable me to compare both sets of data - confirming that the reference is on the second sheet and totalling the values for every instance - or better still, returning the separate amounts in adjacent columns. Is this possible? Not helped that I'm having to use Excel on Office 2013 so limited (work PC - home I have 365).

In summary - I have one report provided by someone else that shows me a list of references they think still have outstanding values, and have listed them with those values.
I have a report that lists payments and logs this with the reference it is applicable to. This list does NOT show the original due references - only those paid.
There could be more than one payment against anyone reference - or none.

How do I cross-check that their list is correct and only showing references NOT paid - and if there have been partial payments, how do I show this?

Not sure I have explained it very well but it's driving me crazy!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back