VLOOKUP ERROR

Lyndon CSWP

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Playing around, in order to keep my mind sharp (sharp as it can get) I created a spreadsheet of Pick 3 lottery numbers and how often they have been drawn over the years. Laugh if you will. I understand they are random. However, I wanted to sort my data in an area that I could look up a 3 digit draw, sort the 6 different combinations of the 3 number and collect the data from the sheet to derive a "score" if you will, of most drawn numbers.
I'm using a VLOOKUP to collect a number from a column to place in the needed cell. I had got it to work but when dragging the cell down to populate the concurring cells, it did the correct thing until it got past a certain cell and failed to provide the data with a #N/A response. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a test spreadsheet I can supply to everyone. I'm just not sure how to attach it just yet as I finally decided to join this forum.
I'm attaching a screenshot which someone might figure out what I am referring to. If someone needs to see the actual test spreadsheet I would be glad to attach it if they can give me a clue as to how. Be gentle. I'm not likely to know what half of you would be describing as my problem with technical jargon.

Attachments

• lookup issue.JPG
    lookup issue.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 17

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Make sure that columns T and H are the same data type i.e. you're comparing text to text and not text to number.

Try
Excel Formula:
=T101=H101

See if this returns true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Make sure that columns T and H are the same data type i.e. you're comparing text to text and not text to number.

Try
Excel Formula:
=T101=H101

See if this returns true.
The H column is all formatted as text and the cells in the T column are derived from =H*** even though they are formatted as General. I tried changing the format in the T column to text and it did not make a difference, returning the same error.

Upvote 0
The H column is all formatted as text and the cells in the T column are derived from =H*** even though they are formatted as General. I tried changing the format in the T column to text and it did not make a difference, returning the same error.
What does it return when you do this?

Excel Formula:
=T101=H101

Upvote 0
Yes, thanks for your help. How can they be the same in 101 but not 102 when they were derived the same way? This is with both cells formatted as text.
I don't have a good answer to that, especially in Excel 2010. (Someone else might).

Just make sure that T=H returns TRUE then your VLOOK should be working.

Upvote 0
I don't have a good answer to that, especially in Excel 2010. (Someone else might).

Just make sure that T=H returns TRUE then your VLOOK should be working.
I realized something. I did not derive that cell from =H102. It was derived from =MID($S102,1,1)&MID($S102,2,1)&MID($S102,3,1) as one way to sort it. The S column is =H***.

Upvote 0
I realized something. I did not derive that cell from =H102. It was derived from =MID($S102,1,1)&MID($S102,2,1)&MID($S102,3,1) as one way to sort it. The S column is =H***.
Why don't you use LEFT instead of concat all the MID's
Excel Formula:
=LEFT($S102,3)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back