VLOOKUP , if not found look use next column in table as the index

jwalkerack

Board Regular
Hi there ,

i have a column of data which i am looking up in a table

The data has come from a few different sources. So i can not be 100 percent its not contained in the table , It might just under another name

What i would like to do , is do the first look up , if the value is not found and returns the next look up i would like the vlookup to search again

At the moment my code for the look up is Column 1 is the index column

=VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)

i like to be able to make column b the index line

=VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$B$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)

Is there a way i can combine an if statment or something so i would be able to check again if not found. Thanks a lot

=VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,FALSE), =VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$B$1:$C$573,1,FALSE) , =VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$C$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
maybe...

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,FALSE)),IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$B$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)),IF(ISERROR( VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$C$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)),"Not Found",VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$C$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$B$1:$C$573,1,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,FALSE))

Upvote 0
=IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,0),VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$B$1:$B$573,1,0)),VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$C$1:$C$573,1,0))

Upvote 0
Can you post a sample of your data? What is in A2 and what is the expected result?

it was able to find this first two. But did not return values for the other two.

Not sure what this means. Are you trying to return multiple values at the same time?

Upvote 0
I think my data i was looking up was a little corrupted it contained an extra space so it was not seeing some values.

Just trying to return on value at a time , but i think this has work now. Thanks for your help

Although with in this forumala there is the following A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,0

Is the 1 used for the value to be returned ? What does the zero do , i am not versed with this syntax ? If i wanted to look for a value in one column but return another of the tables columns how would i modify this formula ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,0)

The 1 is saying to return the value in the first column. Since the table only references column A in this formula, it can only return the first column.

=VLOOKUP(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,1,0)

The 0 tells the formula to look for an exact match. This is equivalent to entering FALSE for the last argument.

Upvote 0
Try something like...

=IFERROR(INDEX(Short_Names!$C$1:$C$573,LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,CHOOSE({1,2},MATCH(A2,Short_Names!$A$1:$A$573,0),MATCH(A2,Short_Names!$B$1:$B$573,0)))),"not found")

This returns an associated result from the corresponding C range.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky Mountain High

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back