Vlookup in VBA - returning a cell reference

MisterProzilla

Hi everyone,

I have two sheets listing staff names, one for a broad overview and one specifically for tracking long-term sickness. When staff attend a review meeting in the long-term sheet, details are entered in a designated form-ish area, then the staff row is clicked and the 'Add Review' button is clicked, then it updates relevant fields in the selected staff row. That all works fine.

What I'd also like it to do is update the overview sheet with the meeting review date too. I'm trying to use a Vlookup within VBA to return the target review meeting cell for the matching ID, but I'm not sure if and how you can use vlookup to return a cell reference in this way, or if it just works with values? And if Vlookup won't work for this, is there an alternative?

Here's what I've got - the 'CalR' line in bold is where it's bringing up an error - 'Runtime error 91 - object variable or With block variable not set'.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Code:
Sub AddReview()

'Enter details of the review meeting in an area at the top of the sheet, then click a staff row and click the button and it updates the staff row's review record as below

Dim CalR As Range

'Looks for the matching ID(B/ActiveRow) in the Calendar sheet (Sheet1) to try and find the cell to enter a review date. In the Calendar, col A is ID, col I is the review dates.
[B]CalR = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Range("B" & ActiveCell.Row).Value, Sheet1.Range("A11:I300"), 9, False)[/B]

If ActiveCell.Row < 9 Then
MsgBox "Please select a record from the table below", vbOKOnly
Exit Sub
End If

' Copy the Meeting date (E5) into the Most Recent Review cell (F/ActiveRow)
Range("F" & ActiveCell.Row).Value = Range("E5").Value

' If enabled in the Workings sheet(Sheet3), updates the Informal review date cell in the Calendar (Sheet1)
If Sheet3.Range("BJ15").Value = "Yes" Then
CalR.Value = Range("E5").Value
End If

' Copy the meeting details (G6) into the Review dump(G/ActiveRow), with line break, followed by a copy of the current contents (col K)
Range("G" & ActiveCell.Row).Value = Range("G6").Value & Chr(10) & Range("K" & ActiveCell.Row).Value

End Sub

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hiprozila
I think you could try changing the vlookup for
CalR = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Range("Sheet2!B" & ActiveCell.Row), Range("Sheet1!A11:I300"), 9, False)

Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0
Cheers for the reply Sergio,

I figured it out in the end without needing the Vlookup:

Code:
Sub AddReview()

'Enter details of the review meeting in an area at the top of the sheet, then click a staff row and click the button and it updates the staff row's review record as below

Dim rngSearch As Range
Dim rngFind As Range

Set rngSearch = Sheet5.Range("B" & ActiveCell.Row)
Set rngFind = Sheet1.Columns(1).Find(What:=rngSearch.Value)

If ActiveCell.Row < 9 Then
MsgBox "Please select a record from the table below", vbOKOnly
Exit Sub
End If

' Copy the Meeting date (E5) into the Most Recent Review cell (F/ActiveRow)
Range("F" & ActiveCell.Row).Value = Range("E5").Value

'If auto-update enabled in the Workings sheet(Sheet3), updates the Informal review date cell in the Calendar (Sheet1)
If Sheet3.Range("BJ15").Value = "Yes" Then
rngFind.Offset(ColumnOffset:=8).Value = Range("E5").Value
End If

' Copy the meeting details (G6) into the Review dump(G/ActiveRow), with line break, followed by a copy of the current contents (col K)
Range("G" & ActiveCell.Row).Value = Range("G6").Value & Chr(10) & Range("K" & ActiveCell.Row).Value

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheetalDixit

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back