vlookup list all duplicates

jamesbrightwell

Hello,

I have been searching all day to find an appropriate formula (I assume INDEX) to help me with my current issue with no luck. I am on a strict deadline so if anyone can help me that would be great. What I am trying to do is re-work my vlookup formula to allow for multiple "hits" (I will not ever know how many "duplicates") The data I have in the below chart is for columns B,C,D and E. I am using a vlookup to populate F,G,H and I.
BC DE FGHI
NameTypeOwn %Ownership ofOwn % (2)Ownership (2)Own % (3)Ownership (3)
Alphabet IncPrime Entity100%Alphabet Inc100%Alphabet Inc
ABCEntity30%Alphabet Inc100%Alphabet Inc
XYZEntity60%Alphabet Inc100%Alphabet Inc
MattIndividual50%ABC30%Alphabet Inc
MarkIndividual50%ABC30%Alphabet Inc
LisaIndividual60%XYZ70%Alphabet Inc
JoanIndividual40%XYZ70%Alphabet Inc
EFGEntity10%Alphabet Inc100%Alphabet Inc
ABCEntity100%EFG10%Alphabet Inc
MattIndividual50%ABC100%EFG10%Alphabet Inc
MarkIndividual50%ABC100%EFG10%Alphabet Inc

<tbody>
</tbody>

The vlookup I am using is =vlookup(E2,$B$1:$E$34,3,FALSE) to populate column F and to populate column G =vlookup(E2,$B$1:$E$34,4,FALSE)

The last three entries in bold is what it SHOULD say but my vlookup will not return the values as listed as it is the 2nd time the values in column E are used so it will just find the first result. Can someone please help me modify my vlookup formula into an index formula (if that is the way to go) and allow me to stretch the data across the columns like I have listed?

Hi Marcelo,

I have tested this through my actual data set and it appears to be WORKING. I am very happy. I just have one question so I can understand what it is that the formula is doing. In the formula =LOOKUP(2,1/($B$2:$B2=$E2),D$2:D2) Is the first part =LOOKUP(2,1/ meaning this is looking for the SECOND instance? Is that what the 2,1 is referring to? Would the same formula work if I had say 10 entities repeated with 10 different variations so it would need to find all 10 variables? I have copied the formula 50 times across the columns so it should pick up 50 variations if I can correct in how it works. This might seem silly but if you could explain how the formula is doing what it is that would help me. I know what it IS doing just not HOW it is doing it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back