vlookup problem

hisdwelling

I have a list of part #s, prices, etc. in sheet 1, and part #s and descriptions on sheet 2. I need to bring the description from the sheet 2 into the corresponding row Column C on sheet 1. I have tried numerous vlookup formulas, but they all return #n/a as if the part # does not exist on the 2nd sheet, when in fact it does.
The formula I think is right is:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$4210,2)
where A2 = the part # I need the description for, and Sheet2 column a contains a list of part #s, and column B contains the descriptions.

I'm thinking that the problem has to do with cell formatting, but I have tried everything I know to assure that column A on each sheet share the same formatting.

Can anyone help?

On 2002-04-26 13:17, hisdwelling wrote:
I ran the =trim function on all of the unit# cells. I know there aren't any leading or trailing spaces.

...and, you checked to be sure that the data types of the lookup_value and the left-most column of your table_array agree?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
...and, you checked to be sure that the data types of the lookup_value and the left-most column of your table_array agree?

Data types... cell format? If so, yes, both columns are formated as numbers with 0 decimal places.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-26 13:22, hisdwelling wrote:

Data types... cell format? If so, yes, both columns are formated as numbers with 0 decimal places.

No... cell formatting doesn't govern the way data is stored. One way to tell is to set a cell's Alignment to General... then text will be left-aligned in the cell while numbers will be right-aligned. You can also examine the cell content using the ISNUMBER and ISTEXT worksheet functions.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-26 13:29, hisdwelling wrote:
hmmm.. both columns are aligning to the left when the alignment is set to "general". Could this be the problem?

Well, this would suggest that the data types of your two columns are the same. And... that would be a "good thing". Are these columns the lookup_value and the left-most table_array column?
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-04-26 13:33

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back