VLookup Question

VQCHEESE

Board Regular
Here is my current formula.
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(K2,USCountyLookup!A1:E40365,5,FALSE),"NoMatch")

I get a nomatch in my entire column, unless i go into column K2 and hit enter and then I get Lookup Im looking for.

does this make sense? I have used this in other spreadsheets and its worked fine.

Any Ideas? Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
can you give more detail on what sheets you have and where you have this formula. are you dragging the formula down the column or right across the rows?

Upvote 0
Possibly something to do with calculate sheet... check if turned on or if you need to hit F9 for the data to get pulled...

Upvote 0
I have a sheet called USCountyLookup. IT lists all the US zipcodes and the Countys to go with the zipcodes. ZipCodes are in Column1. The County Name is in column E.

On my sheet called "data"I have column K that has zipcodes that im using to lookup on the USCountyZIp Sheet which will give me the County Name.
Using my formula i posted above, i get "NoMatch". When i go into a field in K(example K2) and hit enter on the field Then i get the match that im looking for.

Upvote 0
Hmmm wierd, not sure. It could be calculate sheet, formatting issue or something wrong with the workbook and creating from afresh may resolve it. Also vlookups could be fiddly in the sense it can only pull data from left to right (or vice versa, i forget which one).

Try an index match instead of vlookup. Logic as below:

=index ("the column/range of the value you want sits", Match( "cell value you want to find", "the column/range where this is", 0))

If I've read yours correctly, your formula should look something like:
=index(countylookup columnO, match(k2, countrylookupA1, 0))

If this dont work, check formatting or starting afresh from a new sheet.

Shustarr

Upvote 0
Sounds like column K is text & not numbers.
Try converting it to numbers using the Text to columns feature on the data tab.

Upvote 0
No need for a formula, just select col K, then on data tab select text to columns > Delimited > Next > clear all check boxes > Finish.

Upvote 0
I think i got it working. That was my issue. My problem is i have this data linked from a SQL database to refresh on open. So i made a 2nd column for my zipcode and used =[@zipcode]*1.

Upvote 0
Glad you sorted it & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back