Vlookup value error

legalhustler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a text string in column A and a 6 digit value in column B. I am trying to return the values in green.

..........................................Column A............................................................................Column B.........

201506 075 2473000610000000000000001298705828DE F017 ................................................610000
201506 075 2480000298500000000000002705814212DB F017 A .............................................298500

I have the following formula but it returns #Value error.

VLOOKUP(MID(A2,22,4),MID($A$2:$B$2,22,4),2,0)

This part of the formula MID(A2,22,4) is looking at the values in red.

Can someone help. And No I simply cannot do a mid of column A and get the 6 digit value b/c column B can have different values.

Last edited:
Which range is just numeric? Which range is just text?

Column B contains standalone numeric values and standalone text. Column C contains standalone numeric values only. I would like to avoid using volatile functions like Offset as it will slow down calculations significantly.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Column B contains standalone numeric values and standalone text. Column C contains standalone numeric values only. I would like to avoid using volatile functions like Offset as it will slow down calculations significantly.

Define Lrow using Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$C:$C)

Define Brange (or a more descriptive name) as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=Sheet1!$B$6:INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,Lrow)

Define Crange (or a more descriptive name) as referring to"\:
Rich (BB code):

=Sheet1!$C$6:INDEX(Sheet1!$C:$C,Lrow)

Define Ivec as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=ROW(Crange)-ROW(INDEX(Crange,1,1))+1

The formula now becomes:
Rich (BB code):

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Brange&  "|"&Crange<>"",
   MATCH(Brange&  "|"&Crange,Brange& "|"&Crange,0)),Ivec),1))}

Upvote 0
Define Lrow using Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!$C:$C)

Define Brange (or a more descriptive name) as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=Sheet1!$B$6:INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,Lrow)

Define Crange (or a more descriptive name) as referring to"\:
Rich (BB code):

=Sheet1!$C$6:INDEX(Sheet1!$C:$C,Lrow)

Define Ivec as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

The formula now becomes:
Rich (BB code):

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Brange&  "|"&Crange<>"",
   MATCH(Brange&  "|"&Crange,Brange& "|"&Crange,0)),Ivec),1))}

I have column headers (i.e. text) in B5 and C5 and I wanted to do this calculation in cell B2. Will this affect the formula?

I was trying not use defined name and combine each element, but can't seem to get the formula to work. I saw a test someone did on here and said defined names are 1.5 times slower than having the formulas typed in.

Upvote 0
I have column headers (i.e. text) in B5 and C5 and I wanted to do this calculation in cell B2. Will this affect the formula?

No. Why don't you test?

I was trying not use defined name and combine each element, but can't seem to get the formula to work. I saw a test someone did on here and said defined names are 1.5 times slower than having the formulas typed in.

What are you claiming? That this:

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$6:$B$995& "|"&$C$6:$C$995<>"",MATCH($B$6:$B$995& "|"&$C$6:$C$995,$B$6:$B$995& "|"&$C$6:$C$995,0)),Ivec),1))}

works, but this:

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Brange& "|"&Crange<>"", MATCH(Brange& "|"&Crange,Brange& "|"&Crange,0)),Ivec),1))}

does not?

I used Sheet1 as the sheet where the ranges occur and asked you to adjust the sheet name if it's different. Have you carried out the definitions at all?

Upvote 0
No. Why don't you test?

What are you claiming? That this:

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($B$6:$B$995& "|"&$C$6:$C$995<>"",MATCH($B$6:$B$995& "|"&$C$6:$C$995,$B$6:$B$995& "|"&$C$6:$C$995,0)),Ivec),1))}

works, but this:

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Brange& "|"&Crange<>"", MATCH(Brange& "|"&Crange,Brange& "|"&Crange,0)),Ivec),1))}

does not?

I used Sheet1 as the sheet where the ranges occur and asked you to adjust the sheet name if it's different. Have you carried out the definitions at all?

Originally I was saying that formulas driven in cells is 1.5x faster than formulas driven by defined names in cells.

I did try testing it by putting the formula together without defined name but couldn't proceed further because of an error thus I could not tell if it would work with the column headers (i.e text) in B5 and C5 etc.

Nevertheless, I changed the sheet references to my sheet reference tried and ran the formula (using defined names) like yours but go a N/A error. Note that now B1:B6 and C1:C6 has blank/empty cells, so I'm not sure if it'll affect B & C ranges in your formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Originally I was saying that formulas driven in cells is 1.5x faster than formulas driven by defined names.

If you believe that, why are you posting a query like "I have the following array formula and was wondering how I can make the ranges dynamic because sometimes I can have more than 995 rows or sometimes less, so the sum should be able to determine the precise range" at all?

Nevertheless, I changed the sheet references to my sheet reference tried and ran the formula like yours but go a N/A error.

That would mean that you probably did not implement the set up as I outlined.

Note that now B1:B6 and C1:C6 has blank/empty cells, so I'm not sure if it'll affect B & C ranges in your formula.

You mean B1:B5 and C1:C5 for:

does exclude B6 and C6.

Upvote 0
If you believe that, why are you posting a query like "I have the following array formula and was wondering how I can make the ranges dynamic because sometimes I can have more than 995 rows or sometimes less, so the sum should be able to determine the precise range" at all?

I did not know that you were going to used defined names, but I thought that even if you did I could simply put the elements together and revise it, and when I tried I got an error. I tried using defined names but got an N/A error.

You mean B1:B5 and C1:C5 for:

does exclude B6 and C6

Let me clarify. I have column headers in row B5 and C6. I would like to make this formula in cell B2. I wasn't sure if it would affect your formula that's all.

Upvote 0
I did not know that you were going to used defined names, but I thought that even if you did I could simply put the elements together and revise it, and when I tried I got an error. I tried using defined names but got an N/A error.

Let me clarify. I have column headers in row B5 and C6.

I would like to make this formula in cell B2. I wasn't sure if it would affect your formula that's all.

1) Does this formula that you posted

work?

2) Does the data start a B6:C6 as this formula implicates?

3) What is the name of the sheet housing the data this refers to?

Upvote 0
1) Does this formula that you posted

work?

2) Does the data start a B6:C6 as this formula implicates?

3) What is the name of the sheet housing the data this refers to?

1) Yes it works and I get a value result. The result is in cell B2, above the data.

2) Yes the data starts at B6 and C6

3) BFY is the sheet name

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what I have for my defined names.

Lrow:

=MATCH(9.99E+307,BFY!$C:$C)

Brange:

=BFY!$B$6:INDEX(BFY!$B:$B,Lrow)

Crange:

=BFY!$C$6:INDEX(BFY!$C:$C,Lrow)

Ivec:

Combined and used CSE:

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Brange& "|"&Crange<>"",MATCH(Brange& "|"&Crange,Brange& "|"&Crange,0)),Ivec),1))}

Calculations are set to manual, this should not affect the formula because other array formulas work in this setting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back