Vlookup with Offset

Moonbeam111

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
I'm a little bit rusty on my excel knowledge and I know this one is beyond me. And I couldn't figure it out through looking through the message boards, although there were similar topics.

I have two sheets Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 in my workbook. I have a word in range ("F7") in the first Sheet 1 that must be found within range("J1254:J1378") in Sheet 2. When it finds the value in the Sheet 2's selected range ("J1254:J1378"), I would like it to search for the first empty cell starting from the cell it found (going up, not down or across) and offset from that empty cell to the right one. Than I would like it to copy and paste that found offset value to Range ("D3") in Sheet 1. How would I go about this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Have try, may need some tweaking in case of issues (example: extra spaces in word, word not found, ecc.).
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub FindFirstEmptyUp()
    Dim cell  As Range
    Set cell = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J1254:J1378").Find(What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F7"), LookAt:=xlWhole).End(xlUp).End(xlDown).Offset(-1, 0)
    Debug.Print cell.Address                      '<- testing address, response in Immediate pane (Ctrl+G if pane not visible)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you, this is very close to what I'm needing. Only 1 problem, it returns the correct cells address (i.e. $K$1254) instead of the cells name in the output in sheet1 range("D3"). How would I go about fixing that?

Upvote 0
I would like it to search for the first empty cell starting from the cell it found (going up, not down or across) and offset from that empty cell to the right one.
If I correctly understood you could use:
VBA Code:
Sub FindFirstEmptyUpOneRight()
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        .Range("D3") = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J1254:J1378").Find(What:=.Range("F7"), LookAt:=xlWhole).End(xlUp).End(xlDown).Offset(-1, 1)
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
I tried your original code again and its actually pointing at the wrong offset.

Here is how my columns look in sheet2

Title
price 1description of price 1
price 2description of price 2
price 3description of price 3

Say I'm looking for "price 2". I need to offset that to reach the word "Title". No matter which word I'm looking for (example: price 1, price 2, or price 3) Id like it to offset to the word title.

So, in a macro, I'd like to do this by first finding and matching the correct word (example: price 1, 2, or 3) and then going up to the first empty cell and then going right one so that the offset stops on the word "Title". And then the word (example: "title") is put in range("D3") of sheet1.

Hopefully this clears things up any misunderstandings.

Upvote 0
I apologize you're new code you posted works! Thanks!
Thank goodness, my head was bursting trying to figure out the exact offset :eek::biggrin::p.
Thanks for the positive feedback(y), glad having been of some help.

Upvote 0
Say I'm looking for "price 2". I need to offset that to reach the word "Title". No matter which word I'm looking for (example: price 1, price 2, or price 3) Id like it to offset to the word title.

So, in a macro, I'd like to do this by first finding and matching the correct word (example: price 1, 2, or 3) and then going up to the first empty cell and then going right one so that the offset stops on the word "Title". And then the word (example: "title") is put in range("D3") of sheet1.
:confused: Then are you really sure the posted code does that?

Here is my sample data. It is the same as yours but I have added some text below "Title". I did this because without it, the code from post #4 returned nothing to Sheet1 D3 for me.

Moonbeam111.xlsm
JKL
1253Title
1254price 1wrong1description of price 1
1255price 2wrong2description of price 2
1256price 3wrong3description of price 3
Sheet2

With that extra data in Sheet2 I ran the code again and this is what my Sheet1 looks like.

Moonbeam111.xlsm
DEF
3wrong2
7price 2
Sheet1

By my understanding of your description you might need something more like this.

VBA Code:
Sub Test()
  Dim rFound As Range

With Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set rFound = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J1254:J1378").Find(What:=.Range("F7").Value, LookAt:=xlWhole)
    If rFound Is Nothing Then
      MsgBox .Range("F7").Value & " not found"
    Else
        If Len(rFound.Offset(-1).Value) = 0 Then
          .Range("D3").Value = rFound.Offset(-1, 1).Value
        Else
          .Range("D3").Value = rFound.End(xlUp).Offset(-1, 1).Value
        End If
    End If
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
There might have been some kind of confusion but Rollis13's code seems to work for my purposes. I've been using it and, hey, if it isn't broke why fix it??

But I appreciate you posting and giving some assistance so I will try your code later today.

Upvote 0
Thank you Peter_SSs your code also works great. I didn't have to tweak it at all. I'll use yours from now on and keep rollis13's as a backup.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back