Way in Over my head!!! HELP!

MTMann122

OK, I don't know what I did to get where I am, but it's apparent that I have been charged with setting up a database of over 1000 hotel rooms spread over 12 different hotels. The boss thinks we can track the condition of each item in the room (96 to be exact) based on the last inspection. The database isn't really the scarry part it's the reports he hopes to get from it. Such as;
  1. When was the last time each room was inspected?
  2. What are the cleanliness issues in each room?
  3. Rank the condition of each item on a scale of 1-4
  4. Create an exception report of items that need repair/replacement.
  5. Create a list of rooms that are candidates for renovation based on overall condition.
I consider myself an intermediate level user of excel and know very little about VBA. If there is anyone interested in helping with this challenge, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not asking for someone to write the thing, just maybe help me to approach the problem and guidance along the way.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Sounds like you need an actual database for the task, not a spreadsheet. You'll need to have a table of hotels, table of rooms (with hotel as a foreign key), and a table of items (with room as a foreign key). You can set this up as three separate worksheets in a workbook, but something like an Access is really the way to go. 1000 rooms x 96 items is already 96,000 which means if you are using Excel 2003 or earlier, normalization is not possible. You'll need to list items by hotel, in separate sheets, and that will give you reporting nightmares (and inaccuracies).

List the properties of each object (hotel, room, item).

For hotel, it would be name, address, manager, and other relevant information.

For room, it will be the hotel that it's in (some sort of unique identifier), room number, floor, etc.

For item, it will be the room that it's in, and other relevant data.

You'll possibly need a table that keeps track of each time a room is cleaned. That way you can query

Code:
SELECT tblRooms.roomNumber, MAX(tblCleanings.cleaningDate) 
FROM tblRooms INNER JOIN tblCleanings on tblRooms.roomId = tblCleanings.roomId 
GROUP BY tblRooms.roomNumber

will return the last date each room was cleaned. Very basic example, but basically what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p17tootie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back