McKnze21

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi All,

Hope all are well!!

Looking for a little assistance with an Excel spreadsheet I am creating for a friend to organise her wedding. I have a tab for a seating plan from the guest list which is on another tab and I'd like if possible for the names to automatically be placed in some sort of table layout??

Also, I have a column on the guest list tab next to the names which I want to show the table & seat number. Is there a formal or way of having Excel search the seating plan and then for the table and seat that the name corresponds to, then enter that result in to the column on the Guest tab?

I have attached spreadsheet for you all to see. Any advice on how to make this so much better is welcomed!!

THanks!!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Help: Wedding Planner
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
The table plan would need to be done manually, but the the columns to the right & the day sheet can be done with formulae. Is that what you want?

Upvote 0
Ok, for col N onwards you can use something like
MacBride Wedding Rev1.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
4Table 1Table 2Table 3Table 4Table 5Table 6Table 7Table 8Table 9Table 10Table 11Table 12Table 13
5akfSeat 1a
6bgSeat 2b
7cTable1hSeat 3c
8diSeat 4d
9eljSeat 5e
10Seat 6f
11Seat 7g
12Seat 8h
13Seat 9i
14Seat 10j
15Seat 11k
16Seat 12l
Seating Plan
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
N5:N9N5=IF(A5="","",A5)
N10:N14N10=IF(C5="","",C5)
N15N15=IF(B5="","",B5)
N16N16=IF(B9="","",B9)

And on the Day sheet in C2 filled down
Excel Formula:
=IF(A2="","",INDEX('Seating Plan'!$N$4:$Z$4,AGGREGATE(15,6,(COLUMN('Seating Plan'!$N$4:$Z$4)-COLUMN('Seating Plan'!$N$4)+1)/('Seating Plan'!$N$5:$Z$16=A2),1)))
and in D2
Excel Formula:
=IF(A2="","",INDEX('Seating Plan'!$M$5:$M$16,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW('Seating Plan'!$M$5:$M$16)-ROW('Seating Plan'!$M$5)+1)/('Seating Plan'!$N$5:$Z$16=A2),1)))

Upvote 0
Thanks for this but sorry, I don't think that is doing quite what I after...

First of all, on the seating plan tab I'd like drop down boxes on seats around tables so I can pick and choose, play around with choices at tables (So Removing the name from the list if they have already been chosen so not to duplicate) and then as they are picked, the table to the side is automatically filled.

Then as a result of this table being filled, I'd like the Table & Seat columns on the Day tab to be populated accordingly with without Table and seat number that person is.

Hope this maybe explains this better! Thanks!

There is an attachment of the spreadsheet on this forum post: Help: Wedding Planner

Upvote 0
First of all, on the seating plan tab I'd like drop down boxes on seats around tables so I can pick and choose, play around with choices at tables
You already have that in place.
Then as a result of this table being filled, I'd like the Table & Seat columns on the Day tab to be populated accordingly with without Table and seat number that person is.
That's what the formulae I suggested do.

Upvote 0
You already have that in place.

That's what the formulae I suggested do.
My apologies... I have just discovered this. Thanks!

I had to put the top table row as a column before Table 1 as wan't sure you to make it look for two different areas in the one formula?

Upvote 0
Hadn't noticed the Top Table, but yes putting that as an extra column, makes it a lot easier than keeping it as a separate row.

Upvote 0
I
Hadn't noticed the Top Table, but yes putting that as an extra column, makes it a lot easier than keeping it as a separate row.
If there is no entry yet then the cell on 'Day' tab returns #NUM!, is there anyway for it to return like "TBC" or even just blank?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back