Weight chart Please see page 3 for final query

Status
Not open for further replies.

natasha_tracy

Hello everyone -

I am trying to create a weight chart, which works in stones, pounds and ounces. My first query is that each time I enter the weight in for each day, I need it to deduct 1ib 4oz from the weight I enter. At present I have seperate columns for stones, pounds and ounces. However, if I try to do a simple lbs minus 4 it doesn't work, because sometimes the pounds are less than four - so instead of taking the stone column down by one and then deducting the remaining pounds, it just puts the pounds columns to -3 or similar. The same applies to the oz columns - good old imperial eh!

Also, I would like my table to work out weight lost over a period of time - so, I have my starting weight at the top and then I want my most recent weight to be taken from the starting weight, leaving weight lost - I can't get this to work either. Is there a way to make it so that the calculation uses the most recent weight entry and does so automatically?

If anyone has any solutions to these queries, I would be very grateful...as I have to caculate this for a number of people and it would be much quicker if it did it all automatically upon entering the most recent weight.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi Natasha,

can you perhaps post an example of your sheet.

Not sure if i understand right....im a little confused but thats easily done :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps but found a formula on line and adapted it to suit a single cell:

=SUM(A1,INT(SUM(A2)/14))&" Stones "&MOD(SUM(A2,INT(SUM(A3)/16)),14)&" Pounds "& MOD(SUM(A3),16)&" Ounces"

Where A1 is stones A2 is pounds and A3 is ounces

I put this formula in B2 and it seems to calculate correctly, is this along the lines of what you were looking for?

Upvote 0
Hello! Yes of course below is the weight chart:

• A B C D
    Date Stones Pounds Ounces
    Start Weight 10 11 0
    28/08/07 10 8 4
    29/08/07 10 8 4
    30/08/07 10 7 0
I want to deduct 1 pound and 4 ounces from the weight I enter each day, without calculating it manually or in my head - I figured that if I set up a separate table as follows:

Weight to deduct: Stones Pounds Ounces
0 1 4

However, I can't just do 10 stone 7 pounds 0 ounces, minus 1 pound, 4 ounces, because the ounces column will take it to -4. Presumably, because it's imperial. So my first issue is that I can't take away the weight...

My second issue is that I want to work out weight lost - so I want the spreadsheet to use the start weight and take away the most recent entry into the weight chart, in this case on the 30/08/07 and tomorrow it would be the weight on 01/09/07 - is there a way of doing this automatically without having to change the formula everytime?

thanks

Upvote 0
Whoops - the formatting didn't work - my example doesn't look right... can you tell I'm new to this?? :rolleyes: Not sure how to give an example??

Upvote 0
Hi - not perfect, but I think this makes it a little clearer - try, try again... also - your formula was great that you gave me, but I don't think it's quite what I was looking for??

Code:
A                      B                 C                   D 
Date                Stones          Pounds           Ounces 
Start Weight     10                11                  0 
28/08/07          10                8                   4 
29/08/07          10                8                   4 
30/08/07          10                7                   0

I want to deduct 1 pound and 4 ounces from the weight I enter each day, without calculating it manually or in my head - I figured that if I set up a separate table as follows:

Code:
Weight to deduct: Stones   Pounds    Ounces 
                           0           1            4

However, I can't just do 10 stone 7 pounds 0 ounces, minus 1 pound, 4 ounces, because the ounces column will take it to -4. Presumably, because it's imperial. So my first issue is that I can't take away the weight...

My second issue is that I want to work out weight lost - so I want the spreadsheet to use the start weight and take away the most recent entry into the weight chart, in this case on the 30/08/07 and tomorrow it would be the weight on 01/09/07 - is there a way of doing this automatically without having to change the formula everytime?

thanks[/code]

Upvote 0
Its okay i think i can figure out from what yu posted....(Weight is not one of my strong points but ill try to help)

Question:

Lets assume:
Column A date B is stones C is pounds D is ounces
Do you have formulas to calculate the weights or are you manually changing the weights each day?

I put todays date in A1 B1 is Stones C1 pounds D1 ounces
on the next row down you always want it to be the previous days weight - 1 pound 4 ounces.......?

Upvote 0
I wrote a very simple, but very long PHP script for doing this a while ago. I will dig it out and see if i can make it work for VBA.

Upvote 0
Its okay i think i can figure out from what yu posted....(Weight is not one of my strong points but ill try to help)

Question:

Lets assume:
Column A date B is stones C is pounds D is ounces
Do you have formulas to calculate the weights or are you manually changing the weights each day?

I put todays date in A1 B1 is Stones C1 pounds D1 ounces
on the next row down you always want it to be the previous days weight - 1 pound 4 ounces.......?

Yes - that's exactly it... :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back